"LLAN DWF, or, DWFR, in the Cwmwd of Maenor Glynn Ogwr, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Ogmore), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Rectoy, valued in the King's Books at £7..4..4 1/2: Patron, Jesus College, Oxford: Chuch dedicated to The Holy Trinity. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 105. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £14..2..0. It is 3 m. W. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains 846 acres of inclosed and cultivated Land. The Well, called Trinity Well, which was formerly resorted to by cripples, and persons of a scorbutic habit, is now neglected and unfrequented." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
"LLANDOW, called by the Welsh LLAN-DWY, a parish in the hundred of OGMORE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Cowbridge, containing 138 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £7. 4. 4 1/2., and in the patronage Of the Principal and Fellows of Jesus' College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a very small edifice of considerable antiquity. The parsonage-house is also a very ancient building, apparently coeval with the church : attached to the living are fifty-eight acres of glebe land. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £51. 4." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)
Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.
The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
- Parish Church of Holy Trinity
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The church is dedicated to Holy Trinity, and is in the Benefice of Colwinston with Llandow and Llysworney. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS942734.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|1688-1991||1745-1836, 1839-1969||1688-1992||-||1723-1724, 1727-1837|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Llandow Ecclesiastical Parish records " ........ including registers of baptisms, 1813-1991; burials, 1813-1992; marriages, 1839-1969; banns, 1897-1985; services, 1934-1987; parochial church council minutes, 1937-1988; churchwardens bills, 1825; church affairs, 1906-1960; miscellaneous and civil records, 1823-1947"
The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-
- Llandow, Holy Trinity - Christenings (BT's), 1813-1865
Transcript of complete name listing for Wick, with the parishes and villages of Llandow, Marcross and Monknash, from Slaters Directory for 1880.
The transcription of the section for Llandow from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llandow to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llandow has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Llandow Airfield - Past and Present - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS945726 (Lat/Lon: 51.442691, -3.51923), Llandow which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Llandow as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
- Llandow (118); Brychau; Cwrt-newydd; Ffynnon-y-Drindod; Llandow (village); Mill; Rectory; Sutton; Ty'n-y-caeau;
In a separate unnumbered section within this parish's boundaries; Cant crw
There are many references to this area in the 15 million Welsh and English language articles from Welsh newspapers transcribed by the NLW and viewable on Welsh Newspapers Online
Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people
- From The Glamorgan Gazette 9th October 1908
LLANDOW. Diocesan Inspector's Report.—The following report has been received from the Diocesan Inspector on Llandow School: — The children throughout this little school have been very fully and carefully taught, and passed in all respects a thoroughly satisfactory and creditable examination. The written work was accurately and neatly done. The hymns were well known and sung, and the tone and discipline are excellent." The school ia classed ".Excellent."
- From the South Wales Daily News 19th November 1877
LLANDOW, COWBRIDGE. THE RE-OPENING OF THE PARISH CHURCH.-This ancient parish church was re-opened for divine service on Wednesday last, For some time its dilapidated condition had caused anxiety and attracted attention. At last, through the zeal and energy of the vicar, the Rev. W. J. Edwards, it has again assumed its pristine beauty. The preachers at the re-opening services were the Very Rev. H. Lynch Blosse, M.A., Dean of Llandaff; the Rev. O. Bowen Price, B.D., of Cowbridge, and the Rey. J. Powell Jones, B.D., of Llantrissant.
- From the Weekly Mail 10th September 1910
"LADIES OF LLANDOW." HIGH-FALUTIN WAYS OF WELSH FARMER'S' DAUGHTERS. At the Glamorgan Agricultural Committee on Monday it was reported that some dairy classes conducted in the Vale of Glamorgan had not been very successful because the farmers' daughters did not attend, as they had no desire to mix up with the farm domestic servants who made up the classes. A gentleman present delivered his soul thus: —
"THE LADIES OF LLANDOW. Oh, tell me. gentle stranger, oh, prithee, tell me how
Come these high-falutin' ways in the ladies of Llandow?"
- From the South Wales Echo (Special edition) 23rd October 1889
RESTORATION OF LLANDOW CHURCH. The restoration of this interesting little church, near Cowbridge, has now been commenced. The church will be fitted with new seats, prayer-desk, lectern, chancel seats, and altar table, all of oak, and also a stone pulpit. The work is being carried out under the dIrection of Messrs Kempson and Fowler, architects, Llandaff, Mr John Morgan, of Llantrissant, being the contractor.
- From the Evening Express (Third Edition) 9th September 1892
THE LLANDOW MYSTERY SOLVED. The description of the man who committed suicide near Llandow Rectory, Cow bridge, by shooting himself with a revolver, on the 27th ult., having been well circulated, and the articles found upon him described, the number of his watch has been recognised by a London jeweller as having been sold by him to the deceased. The relatives were communicated with, ............(part extract)..........
- From the Evening Express (Fifth Edition) 15th November 1905
THE BENEFICE OF LLANDOW. The principal and follows of Jesus Oxford, have appointed the Rev. Richard Edmonds Jones, M.A., to the benefice of Llandow, vacated by the Rev. D. T. Griffiths, M.A., now of Llantrisant. Mr. Jones is a late scholar of Jesus Colllege, Oxford, and took first-class in classical moderations.
The Population of Llandow was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.
|1841 - 125||1851 - 134||1861 - 133||1871 - 117||1881 - 128||1891 - 117|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Llandow Civil Parish records " ...... including highway surveyor's account book, 1813-1879; copies of tithe plan and apportionment, 1841; extract of tithe apportionment, 1914"