"LLAN EDEYRN, in the Cwmwd of Cibwyr, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Kibbor), County GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Vicarage, united to the Vicarage of St. Melon's in the County of Monmouth, and valued in the King's Books at £5.. 8.. 11 1/2: Patrons, The Bishop and Chapter of Llandaff, alternately Church: dedicated to St. Edeyrn. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 301. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £271 ..9.. 7 1/4, at 4s. 3d. in the pound. It is 4 m. N. b. E. from Caerdiff. This Parish contains about 1132 acres of Land. It is situate upon the banks of the river Rhymny. According to Mr. Owen, St. Edeyrn established a Christian Society of three hundred in number here, which afterwards came to be called by his name. The Vicarage of St. Melon's belonged to the Bishop, and that of Llan Edeyrn to the Chapter; they are worth £220. per annum." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.

"LLANEDARN (LLAN-EDEYRN), a parish in the hundred of KIBBOR, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, on the banks of the Romney, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from Cardiff, containing 315 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises about two thousand five hundred and fifty acres of land, partly arable and partly pasture, lies on the eastern confine of the county, and the surface, though in general low, presents some pleasing scenery : it gradually rises to the north into an elevated ridge, in some parts richly wooded, and the whole is embellished with several genteel mansions, the principal of which are, New House, the seat of the Rev. Mr. Lewis ; Ruperra, that of Charles Morgan, Esq.; and Cevn Mably, that of Col. Kemeys Kemeys Tynte. To the west the venerable cathedral of Llandaf, and southward Cardiff and the Bristol channel, are included in the prospect. The living is a discharged vicarage, united to that of St. Mellon's, in the county of Monmouth, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £5. 8. 11 1/2. The church, dedicated to St. Edeyrn, is a small simple structure. It is stated that St. Edeyrn established a Christian Society here, amounting in number to three hundred persons, but there are no remains of their residence. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £254. 10." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)



Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.



The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. Edeyrn

Church History

Glamorgan Chapels Database project - a list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish. Here are references to the two such chapels found in this parish;-

  • Wesleyan chapel, Cyncoed
  • Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Llanedeyrn
    • There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel [in Llanedeyrn parish]
      Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 and 1910 - the Archive CD Books Cds
    • There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel in 'Llanedarne'
      Slaters Directory 1880
    • Pen y Groes Schoolroom - Calvinistic M Erected in 1840 John Morgan, Deacon, Llanedarn
      (1851 Religious Census)
    • 1841, August 11; Calvanistic Methodist; a meeting house called Hepzibah; Henry JONES of St Mellons, Co Monmouth, Minister of the Gospel
      Dissent in the Counties of Glamorgan and Monmouth by Hywel D Emanuel
    • Park End Llandennis Road English CM chapel Llandennis Road, Cyncoed, Caerdydd, Caerdydd CF23 6EG - still open in 2006 [same place ?]

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Edeyrn

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1701-1900, Marriages, 1701-1837, Burials, 1701-1898.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff (Llanedeyrn, St. Edeyrn)
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1701-1709, 1713-1978 1701-1709, 1715-1982 1701-1709, 1714-1929 1824-1971 1717, 1724-1811, 1813-1837

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • Llanedeyrn, St. Edeyrn - Christenings (BT's), 1795-1869

Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-

  • All Saints, Cyncoed - Opened as a daughter church to Llanedeyrn in 1923; parish church since 1979

Description & Travel

Llanedeyrn - on wikipedia

You can see pictures of Llanedeyrn which are provided by:



Transcript of name listing for Cardiff, from Commercial and Trade Directories, for the years:-

1880 (Slater's Directory) (302k)    


The transcription of the section for Llanedeyrn from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.


Historical Geography

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanedeyrn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county



Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST209820 (Lat/Lon: 51.531755, -3.141489), Llanedeyrn which are provided by:


Names, Geographical

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanedeyrn as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Llanedeyrn (137); Camp; Cefn-Mably; Church House Fm.; Coed-caedwgan; Coed-y-gores; Cross; Gold Course; Llanedeyrn (village); Llanedeyrn Fm.; Llwyn y Grant-uchaf; New Forge; Pant-llaca; Pen-twyn; Rhymney River; St Julian's Fm.


There are many references to this area in the 15 million Welsh and English language articles from Welsh newspapers transcribed by the NLW and viewable on Welsh Newspapers Online
Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people

  •  From the South Wales Daily News 7th June 1887

CEFN MABLY BAZAAR. A grand bazaar in aid of the restoration of Llanedeyrn Chnrch will be held at Cefn Mably Mansion on Wednesday and Thursday next. This will give Cardiffians an opportunity of visiting one of the grandest and oldest mansions in Wales. Through the generosity of Colonel Kemeys-Tynte, the grounds will be thrown open to visitors.

  • From the Evening Express (First Edition) 4th January 1905

LLANEDEYRN CHURCH.  DEDICATION OF NEW PULPIT AND LECTERN.  Llanedeyrn Parish Church, St. Mellon's, was well filled on Tuesday afternoon on the occasion of the dedication service of the new pulpit and lectern, provided by a public subscription which was generously responded to. The church has been splendidly renovated during the past few months, and the pulpit and lectern, which are both of fine workmanship, add greatly to the completeness of this place of worship. The rural dean (the Rev. T. W. Evans) performed the service, and delivered a reminiscent address. In the evening the Rev. Hubert G. Stanley (vicar of Marshfield) preached.

  • From The Western Mail 1st February 1877

LLANEDEYRN. During the gale on Tuesday morning, the greater part of one side of the roof of Llanedeyrn Sohool, which has only been built a little over three years, was completely blown away.

  •  From the Evening Express (Extra Special Edition) 3rd May 1905

LORD TREDEGAR TRIBUTE  A public meeting, convened by Mr. Williams, Coedygorae, was held at the school- room in the parish of Llanedeyrn on Tuesday evening to take into consideration the desirability of giving the parishioners an opportunity of joining in the Lord Tredegar tribute movement. A committee was formed to carry out this object, consisting of the vicar, the Rev. Theophilus Rees (chairman), Mr. Williams, Coedygoras (secretary), Mr. Rowland Thomas, Mr. Husband, and Mr. Morgan, of Julian's Farm. Much regret was expressed that the three counties could not agree in making one national testimonial worthy of the large-hearted descendant of Ivor Hael



The Population of Llanedeyrn was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 354 1851 - 338 1861 - 289 1871 - 318 1881 - 285 1891 - 290

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llanedeyrn Civil Parish records     " ..... comprising assistant overseer's rate books, 1921-1926; assistant overseer's receipt and payment book, 1923-1927; copies of tithe plan and apportionment, 1846 [copied 1980]"