Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Chapels - Llanfabon

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Chapels - Llanfabon

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Llanfabon database compiled by Gareth Hicks

Llanbradach is included in this database although shown under Eglwysilan otherwise

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Wales - Genealogy Help Pages )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

Sources;

  • 1. The Chapels Recording Project in Wales (RCAHMW)
  • 2. My Ancestors were Congregationalists in England and Wales, by D J H Clifford, SOG, 1992.
  • 3. Independent Chapels of Wales: History Books and Pamphlets by Huw Walters.
  • 4. Dissent in the Counties of Glamorgan and Monmouth by Hywel D Emanuel, National Library of Wales journal, Vol VIII/4, Winter 1954. Although not every GLA parish has an entry
  • 5. Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc
  • 6. Glamorgan Record Office in Cardiff hold most extant parish church and non-conformist chapel records, these are listed on their site (click ' history of your family' on main page and scroll down to the end of the next page)
  • 7. Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 - the Archive CD Books Cd
  • 8. Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 - the Archive CD Books Cd
  • 9. Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. UWP, Cardiff, 1976

Additional sources

  • 1880 Slaters Directory

Baptist

Berthlwyd Welsh Baptist chapel, Pentwyn Berthlwyd

  • Berthlwyd Baptist chapel, Pentwyn, Berthlwyd ST10029618 Built in 1851, modified, altered or rebuilt 1880, still in use in 1996 (1)
  • Berthlwyd Baptist Extant records (6)
  • Welsh Baptist, Berthlwyd 400 sittings Rev Rees B Jones 1895 (7)
  • Welsh Baptist, Berthlwyd 500 sittings Erected in 1851 Rev Thomas Edward Williams 1910 (8)
  • Berthlwyd Baptist 1880 Slaters Directory
  • Berthlwyd Baptist Erected in 1841 William Davies, Diacon, Berthlwyd, Quakers Yard 1851 (9)

Ebenezer English Baptist chapel, De Windton St, Coed-y-brain Rd, Llanbradach

  • Ebenezer English Baptist chapel, De Windton St, Coed-y-brain Rd, Llanbradach ST14768992 Built in 1905 (1)

Sion Welsh Baptist chapel (Seion), Glenview Terrace, Llanbradach

  • Sion Welsh Baptist chapel (Seion), Glenview Terrace, Llanbradach ST15089068 (1)
  • Welsh Baptist, Llanbradach Rev Richard Evans [residence only mentioned] 1910 (8)
  • Welsh Baptist, Llanfabon 1880 Slaters Directory [right place?]

Calfaria English Baptist chapel, Wern Crescent, Nelson

  • Calfaria English Baptist chapel, Wern Crescent, Nelson ST11419541 Built in 1878 (1)

English Baptist, Quakers Yard

  • English Baptist, Quakers Yard Rev T Evans 1880 Slaters Directory

Congregational

There is a book by C. Tawelfryn Thomas, E. Bush: Pebyll Seion: hanes ymdaith Cynnulleidfaoliaeth yn y Watford, Groes Wen, Tonyfelin, Rhydri, Caerffili, Glandwr Taf, Senghennydd, Llanbradach, Abertridwr, gyda darluniadau o leoedd nodedig a phersonau enwog, (Caerdydd, 1904), ix, 122tt. Independent Chapels of Wales: History Books and Pamphlets by Huw Walters. (3)

Independent - meeting house called Capel Mavon

  • 1815 February 2; Independant; a meeting house called Cpel Mavon; Hopkin BEVAN, Minister, David EVAN, Evan RICHARD (4)

Libanus Welsh Independent chapel, Leigh terrace, Craig Berth-lwyd

  • Libanus Independent chapel, Leigh terrace, Craig Berth-lwyd ST09389605 Built in 1833, modified, altered or rebuilt 1853, disused pre 1996 (1)
  • Libanus Ind chapel, Llanfabon Opened in 1833, closed pre 1992 (2)
  • Libanus Welsh Ind MIs index (5)
  • Libanus Welsh Ind Extant records (6)
  • Libanus Welsh Ind 600 sittings Rev Morgan Thomas 1895 (7)
  • Libanus Welsh Cong 460 sittings Erected in 1833 Rev M Irwyn Thomas 1910 (8)
  • Libanus, Independent Erected c 1833 David Edwards, Sacretary (sic) 1851 (9) and a second return submitted by Daniel Hughes 1851 (9)
  • 1833 May 2; Independant; a meeting house called Libanus; Lewis LEWIS (of) Trefychan, farmer (4)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (April 2009)

(Zoar?) Independent; a building called Leachwenleadan

  • 1827 March 16; Independant; a building called Leachwenleadan in the occupation of Thomas THOMAS, farmer; the said Thomas THOMAS, Edmund BYVE (?) (4)
  • 1831 March 9; Independant; a building called Zoar in the occupation of Thomas THOMAS of Leachwenleaden, farmer; the said Thomas THOMAS (4)

Soar Fawr, Llancaeach, Nelson ??

  • Soar Fawr, Llancaeach, Nelson ST1196 Denomination not given Built in 1831 (1)
  • Zoar Independents Erected in 1830 Thomas Thomas, Deacon, the minister being absent, Lechwen, Quakers Yard 1851 (9)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (April 2009) - which explains the link between Zoar and Penuel chapels

Penuel Independent chapel, High St, Nelson

  • Penuel Independent chapel, High St, Nelson ST11119553 Built in 1858 (1)
  • Penuel Ind chapel, Nelson Opened in 1830, closed pre 1992 (2)
  • There is a Congregational chapel at Nelson erected in 1830 with 300 sittings 1910 (8)
  • Independent, Nelson Village 1880 Slaters Directory
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

Tabernacle Welsh Ind chapel, Llanbradach

  • Tabernacle Welsh Ind chapel, Llanbradach ST1490 Built in 1893 (1)

Bethel English Independent chapel, De Winton St, Llanbradach

  • Bethel English Independent chapel, De Winton ST, Llanbradach ST14829000 Built in 1898 (1)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Bethel English Congregational Church, Llanbradach records ".... was established in 1898"
    "Minutes book of church meetings, 1927-1971; ground plan of Bethel chapel,[c20th century]; application forms for a grant from the central fund, 1908-1940"

Bryn Sion Independent chapel, Nelson

  • Bryn Sion Independent chapel, Nelson ST1195 (1)

Independent chapel, Quakers Yard

  • Independent chapel, Quakers Yard Rev - Williams 1880 Slaters Directory

Methodist

English Wesleyan chapel, De Winton St, Llanbradach

  • English Wesleyan chapel, De Winton St, Llanbradach ST14999057 Built in 1906 (1)

Moriah Welsh CM chapel, High St, Llanbradach

  • Moriah Welsh CM chapel, High St, Llanbradach ST14929046 (1)
  • Welsh CM chapel Rev Ja. James [residence only mentioned] 1910 (8)

Ebenezer Welsh CM chapel, Heol-fawr, Nelson

  • Ebenezer Welsh CM chapel, Heol-fawr, Nelson ST11499520 Chapel built 1796; rebuilt/modified in 1831 and in 1874 (1)
  • 1838, May 9; Protestant (endorsed; Welsh Methodist); a building called Ebenezer; David LEWIS of the parish of Llanfabon, collier (4)
  • Ebenezer CM MIs index (5)
  • Ebenezer CM Extant records (6)
  • Calvinistic Methodist, Nelson 1880 Slaters Directory
  • Ebenezer CM, Llanvabon Erected in 1831 Thomas Williams, Deacon (the minister being absent), Heolfain, Nelson 1851 (9)

English Methodist, Nelson

  • English Methodist, Nelson 1880 Slaters Directory

Salem Primitive Methodist chapel, High St, Nelson

  • Salem Primitive Methodist chapel, High St, Nelson ST11189557 Chapel built 1859 and rebuilt/modified in 1894 (1)

Ebenezer Wesleyan Methodist, Mill Rd, Quakers Yard

  • Ebenezer Wesleyan Methodist, Mill Rd, Quakers Yard Extant records (6)
  • Welsh Wesleyan, Quakers yard 600 sittings Rev Evan Isaac 1895 (7) [right place ?]
  • Welsh Wesleyan, Quakers yard 300 sittings 1910 (8)
  • Wesleyan, Quakers Yard 1880 Slaters Directory

Horeb Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Quakers Yard

  • Horeb, Mynwent-y-Crynwyr [Quakers' cemetery], Quakers Yard ST0996 Built in 1816, modified, altered or rebuilt 1839 (1)
  • Horeb Wesleyan, Quakers Yard Erected in 1839 William Morgan, Deacon, Berthlwyd, nr Quakers Yard 1851 (9) and a second return submitted by William Morgan (signed by a mark) 1851 (9)
  • The connection between the Quakers cemetery and Horeb Wesleyan chapel isn't clear, see below

Ystrad Methodist chapel, Llanvabon

  • Ystrad Methodist chapel, Llanvabon William Walter, Gelligaer 1851 (9)

Other (including unidentified)

Mynwent-y-Crynwyr [Quakers' cemetery], Quakers Yard

  • See also Horeb Wesleyan above

Latter Day Saints; a school room in the village of Llanfabon

  • 1848 December 16; Latter Day Saints; a school room in the village of Llanfabon; Dan JONES of the parish of Merthyr Tydvil (4)

Gospel Hall Plymouth Brethren chapel, Llanbradach

  • Gospel Hall Plymouth Brethren chapel, Llanbradach ST1490 (1)

Springfield Terrace chapel, Caerphilly Rd, Nelson

  • Springfield Terrace chapel, Caerphilly Rd, Nelson ST11469539 Denomination not given (1)

[Last Updated : 4 Dec 2011 - Gareth Hicks]