In 1868, the parish of Llanfabon contained the following places:
"LLANFABON, a parish in the hundred of Caerphilly, county Glamorgan, 5 miles N.W. of Caerphilly, and 8 S.E. of Merthyr-Tydvil. It is situated on the rivers Romxey and Taff. The Taff Vale railway and the Merthyr-Tydvil canal pass in the vicinity. The hamlets of Garth and Glyn-rumney are included in this parish. The village is very considerable. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff; value £120, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is dedicated to St. Mabon. There are small charities of about £2 per annum."
"GARTH, a hamlet in the parish of Llanfabon, county Glamorgan, 5 miles N.W. of Caerphilly. It contains Morlais Castle, situated on the banks of the river Taf. The inhabitants are principally engaged in the collieries."
"GLYN-RUMNEY, a hamlet in the parish of Llanfabon, county Glamorgan, 5 miles N.W. of Caerphilly. The river Rumney flows through this place. The Ty-isha harriers meet here."