"A small village 3.5 miles north-west from, and in the hundred of Cowbridge, possessing an interesting example of a sculptured wheel cross of Celtic workmanship, and an almost perfect fifteenth century cross. Llangan contains 1, 200 statute acres of land." [Glamorganshire, 1911]



Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.



Congregational / Independent
Saron Independent Chapel, Treoes; Tre-Oes

Church History

Chapels Database  - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish


Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Canna, and is in the Benefice of Coychurch with Llangan and St. Mary Hill Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS957778.

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1689-1978, Marriages, 1724-1838, Burials, 1705-1894.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1688-1978 1725-1747, 1763, 1792-1970 1708, 1716, 1724-1984 1824-1977 1721, 1723-1745, 1747-1810, 1812-1837

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llangan Ecclesiastical Parish records      " ...... including registers of baptisms, 1688-1978; marriages, 1725-1970; burials, 1708-1984; banns, 1824-1848; services, 1899-1940; glebe, 1941; churchwardens records, 1932-1955; miscellaneous and civil records, 1785-1860"

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • Llangan, St. Canna - Christenings (BT's), 1813-1860

Description & Travel

Conservation areas within the Vale of Glamorgan. See Llan-gan - "Conservation areas are areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance"

You can see pictures of Llangan which are provided by:



Transcript of name listing for Bridgend and district, from Slaters Directory for 1880.



The transcription of the section for Llangan from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

Descriptions of parish from
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis and also
A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle


Historical Geography

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish

  • Treoes

You can see the administrative areas in which Llangan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county



Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS950777 (Lat/Lon: 51.48865, -3.514295), Llangan which are provided by:


Names, Geographical

Places, villages, farms etc within Llangan as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Llangan (104); Cross; Ewenny River; Gelli-araul; Llangan (village); Mill (2); Molchenydd; Newland-fach Green; Parc-newydd; Rectory; School; Ton Ty-du; Treos


The Population of Llangan was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 238 1851 - 261 1861 - 223 1871 - 227 1881 - 200 1891 - 182

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llangan Parish Council/Community Council records          " ..... comprising parish meetings minutes, 1894-1920; parish council minutes, 1919-1974; community council minutes, 1974-1999; tithe plan and apportionment, 1841"


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llangan and St. Mary Hill School Board records        "....... comprising of minute books, 1874-1903; cash book, 1880-1903"