Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Ogmore Vale in the Parish of Llangeinor

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Ogmore Vale in the Parish of Llangeinor

Primary tabs

"OGMORE WALE or TYNEWYDD[?] is a thickly populated hamlet, in the parish of Llangeinor, in the centre of the Ogmore Walley, with a station on the Llynvi and Ogmore branch of the Great Western railway, and 8 miles by rail from Bridgend. St. David's church, erected in 1876 as a chapel of ease to Llangeinor, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and a western turret containing one bell: there are 300 sittings. The Rev. Hugh Thomas M.A. vicar of Llangeinor, officiates. At Pwllypant is a cemetery of 3 acres, formed in 1888 at a cost of £1250, and has a mortuary chapel; it is under the control of the Ogmore and Garw Urban District Council. The pits of Messrs. Cory Brothers and Co. Limited and Lewis Merthyr Consolidated Company are here. There is a Constitutional club, also a Workman's hall, reading room and library, built in 1910 "  [From  Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923  (ArchiveCDBooks)  - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]

"Ogmore Vale  is a village in the county borough of Bridgend, on the River Ogmore. The village's main source of income came from coal mining. Up until the year 1865, the Ogmore valley was a quiet, isolated, rural hill farming community of less than ten farms and a few cottages. Today, along with Nantymoel and Price Town it makes up the community of Ogmore Valley." wikipedia

topup
topup

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St John's Church

The church dedicated to St. John the Baptist was in the Benefice of Llangeinor, and the diocese of Llandaff. The church was located at grid reference SS934903 but was closed on 31/07/2004 and demolished in Feb 2008.

Anglican Parish Registers
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
No Registers have been deposited yet
topup

Description and Travel

Ogmore Vale - on Wikipedia

Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site

You can see pictures of Ogmore Vale in the Parish of Llangeinor which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ogmore Vale in the Parish of Llangeinor to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Ogmore Vale in the Parish of Llangeinor has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Ogmore Vale with Gorwyl House overlooking the village, about 1910
  • The demolition of the Workmens Hall & Institute, Ogmore Vale Glamorgan
topup
topup

Occupations

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Ogmore Vale Workmen's Hall and Institute      "Minutes 1912-1916, 1920-1924, 1942-1962.

Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Gwalia Stores, originally from Ogmore Vale, re-erected at St Fagans: National History Museum
  • Rev. Canon Dillwyn Llewellyn Jones describing how his grandparents, William and Mary Llewellyn, came to Ogmore Vale in the late 19th century to start a grocery business.
  • The staff of Gwalia Stores, Ogmore Vale, in 1914
  • The Llewellyn family, owners of the Gwalia Stores on the front steps of Gorwyl House, Ogmore Vale, about 1910.
  • Triangular lampCheck used at the Wyndham Colliery Ogmore Vale between 1947 and 1965
  • This 5 years service medal was awarded to Harry Radcliffe whilst serving on the Wyndham Colliery Mines Rescue Team
  • Paylip for John Jones when employed by the Wyndham Colliery when under the ownership of Cory Brothers Ltd. 1938
  • A hexagonal lampcheck used at the Penllwyngwent drift mine (1906 - 1969) in Ogmore Vale.
  • 1922 certificate issued by the Brymenin Mones Rescue Station to Christopher Davey after successful completion of his training prior to him joining the Penllwyngent Colliery Rescue Team in Ogmore Vale.
  • The head of a colliers mandrill that was used in the Aber Colliery Ogmore Vale (1886 - 1914).
topup

Social life and Customs

Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • 1926 Ogmore Vale Postcard
  • Ogmore Vale Saturday Hockey Team, 1908-1909
topup