Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Llangennith

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.


Primary tabs

"A village on the west verge of Gower, once the site of a monastry. On Harding Down are some earthworks." [Glamorganshire, 1911]



Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.



The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. Cennydd

Visit their website for information on how to purchase.


Church History

Chapels Database  - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

A view of Llangennith Church. - on the People's Collection Wales site


Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Cenydd, is in the Benefice of Reynoldston with Penrice with Llangennith, and the diocese of Swansea and Brecon. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS429913.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1726-1812 1754-1807, 1813-1971 1742-1971 - 1671, 1673, 1677-1679, 1682-1683, 1686-1689, 1691, 1693-1694, 1696-1697, 1700-1701, 1704, 1707-1708, 1710-1711, 1713, 1725, 1727-1737, 1739, 1741, 1743-1795, 1797-1800, 1802-1803, 1809-1831, 1833-1846, 1848-1851, 1853, 1855-1882, 1885, 1887-1896, 1898-1899
(At the National Library of Wales)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llangennith Ecclesiastical Parish Records               "Registers (including service and banns registers) 1726-1993; Churchwardens' accounts and Vestry minutes 1844-1918; faculties and church restoration papers 1875-1958; tithe documents c. 1840 and 1923-1929."


Non Conformist Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Chapel Baptisms Marriages Burials OS Map Ref
Wesleyan 1864-1913 - - SS 42759174

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • Llangennith, Bethesda Calvinistic Methodist (Burry Green) - Christenings, 1815-1861

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Llangennith parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Mary Greatorex)

  • Llangennith (33): Bluepool Corner, Broughton Burrows, Burrygreen, Burry Holms, Camps, Carns, Cockstreet, Coety Green, Delvid, Diles Lake, Druids Lodge, Druids Moor, Foxhole Point, Hardingsdown, Hardings Down, Hillend, Hillend Burrows, Kennexstone, Llangennith, Llangennith Burrows, Llangennith Moors, Llanmadog Hill, Longstone, Mill, Minor Point, Penmynydd, Spaniard Rocks, Tankeylake Moor, The Bulwark, Twlc Point, White Moor

Descriptions of parish
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.
A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.

Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Various landscapes/seascapes
  • Aerial photograph of Iron Age hill fort on Hardings Down, Llangennith 1988

You can see pictures of Llangennith which are provided by:



Transcript of complete name listing for the Gower parishes, from Slaters Directory for 1880.



The transcription of the section for Llangennith from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llangennith to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.


Historical Geography

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish

  • Broughton Burrows
  • Broughton Bay
  • Burry

You can see the administrative areas in which Llangennith has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



The first motor bus to Llangennith, 1910 - on the People's Collection Wales site



The Population of Llangennith was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 436 1851 - 398 1861 - 384 1871 - 360 1881 - 292 1891 - 298

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llangennith Parish Council Records            "Records of Llangennith Parish Council and Llangennith, Llanmadoc and Cheriton Community Council, 1847-2000, including minute books, 1920-2000; financial records, 1920-1925; tithe plan and apportionment, 1847."

Social life and Customs

Mary Jane Lewis carrying water from the well, Llangennith, Gower, 1924. - on the People's Collection Wales site