In 1868, the parish of Llangennith contained the following places:
"LLANGENNITH, (or Llangenydd), a parish in the hundred of Swansea, county Glamorgan, 14 miles W. of Swansea, its post town. It is situated on the coast of Rhossili Bay. A priory was founded here in the reign of Stephen, in connection with Evreux Abbey, which was given by Henry VI. to All Souls' College, Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £71. The church, dedicated to St. Cenydd, formed part of the old priory. It is the largest in Gower, having a side tower and a blocked Romanesque arch on its eastern side, and contains some very old monuments. Just off the coast is Holmes Island, where was formerly a chapel belonging to this parish, and 2 miles beyond is Llanmadog, where is a bone-cave on the coast.