Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Cwmllynfell in the Parish of Llangiwg

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Cwmllynfell in the Parish of Llangiwg

Primary tabs

"Cwmllynfell is the name of a village, community and electoral ward in Neath Port Talbot county borough" wikipedia

topup

Church History

An index to the book Hanes Eglwys Cwmllynfell [The history of Cwmllynfell Church, an Independent Chapel in Llangiwg Parish] by Reverends J. Dyfnallt Owen M.A.. J. D. Jones and Ben Davies [1935] has been provided by Gareth Hicks. Here also are some extracts

Cwmllynfell (new chapel) - on the People's Collection Wales site

topup

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the Public Record Office, London
Chapel Baptisms Marriages Burials OS Map Ref
Seion, Congregational 1760-1835 - 1760-1769 SN 74681240
*Seion, Congregational

*1822-37 at PRO

1908-88 at W GLA RO

(*These entries are shown incorrectly under Cwmafan, Michaelstone super Avon in the source book Nonconformist Registers of Wales, NLW 1994 (error confirmed by NLW).
The film at the PRO says it is the register of Cwmllynfell, Alltwen and Cwmaman, Independent, of Shilbyll(Cilybebyll), Llanguicke, Llangadock in the counties of Carmarthen and Glamorgan. It gives the founding dates as 1760 for Cwmllynfell, 1773 for Cwmaman and 1770 for Alltwen. The first entry in the book was 1767 and the latest noticed was 1835 - these were both baptisms. There was a page of burials with dates between 1760-1769. )

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • Cwmllynfell Independent - Christenings, 1751-1836

See under Chapels and Churches on the Cwmgors/Waun site

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Cwmllynfell in the Parish of Llangiwg which are provided by:

topup

Directories

See under Llangadock parish

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cwmllynfell in the Parish of Llangiwg to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Cwmllynfell in the Parish of Llangiwg has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup
topup

Newspapers

Extracts from newspapers transcribed from Welsh Newspapers Online
Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people

From the South Wales Daily News dated 8th July 1891

"CWMLLYNFELL. A DAY OF POPULAR REJOICING.—Monday was a day which had been looked forward to by the inhabitants of this place for several weeks, as County Councillor Levi Rees had promised a free treat in the form of tea, cake, &c., to all that might come. At noon there was a grand procession of the Cwmllynfell and Cwmtwrch school children, headed by the Cwmllynfell Brass Band and the Cwmtwrch String Band respectively. After tea was over, of which between two and three thousand partook, oranges, sweets, &c were distributed amongst the children. In the evening a meeting was held, presided over by Dr Howell Rees, J.P., Cwmamman, at which Councillor Rees was presented with a handsome gold watch and chain, two pairs of gold-rimmed spectacles, a purse of gold, and an illuminated address as a slight recognition of the valuable services which he has rendered in this and the neighbouring districts during the last 40 years."

From the South Wales Daily News (Third Edition) dated 22nd April 1892

"CWMLLYNFELL. OPENING OF A NEW ORGAN.—Special services, were held in the large Congregational Church at this place on Easter Sunday and Monday, the, occasion being the opening of a large organ, built by Mr Wade, organ-builder, Tenby. The following rev. gentlemen preached eloquent sermons appropriate to the occasion Rev T.Thomas, of Llangadock Rev D. H. Morgan, Pontardulais; and the Rev D. Thomas, of Llanstephan. The respected minister of the ancient building, the Rev T. Rees, also took part in the services, which were much appreciated by large congregations. Mr T. Morgan, of Carmarthen, ably presided at the noble instrument, which has most of the modern improvements, including tubular pneumatic action."

From the South Wales Daily News dated 15th August 1878

"CWMLLYNFELL. THE BRITISH SCHOOL.—The following report of the Rev B. J. Binns, Her Majesty's Inspector of Schools, has just been received. "The school has improved considerably since it has been placed under the charge of the present master; the discipline is extremely well maintained, the attendance has increased, and the instruction has been thoroughly well carried out in each of the classes. The exercises on paper of the upper standards were exceedingly neat, well written, and free from mistakes. The results of the examination were, accordingly, highly satisfactory, and the only point to be aimed at is Improved clearness and fluency in the reading. Of the scholars presented at the various standards 95.5 per cent passed in the three R s. The amount of grant earned was £117.6s. including the payments for geography and grammar"

From the South Wales Daily News dated 10th September 1880

"CWMLLYNFELL. THE BOARD SCHOOL.—The following report on the result of the recent examination of the above school has just been received from the Rev. B. J. Binns, H. M. Inspector of Schools:—"No steps have been taken as yet to provide a new and proper schoolroom for this excellent school, although a recommendation to that effect was made in last year's report. The crowded state of the room at present prevents due arrangements of the scholars, and a separate class-room is urgently required for the infants, whose knowledge of number, and whose reading admit of further improvement. The discipline and instruction of the upper classes are highly creditable, and an extremely good examination has been again passed in ordinary subjects, together with grammar, geography, and needlework."  The amount of grant earned was £121 18s."

 From the South Wales Daily News dated 14th February 1880

"CWMLLYNFELL. SALVATION ARMY.—A party from the Wern, Ystalyfera, have conducted services on the "Salvation Army" plan. About 74 persons expressed their desire of becoming members of a church. The Revs Mr Rees, Cwmllynfell, and Mr Jones, Brynamman, took part in the proceedings. "

 From the The Cambria Daily Leader dated 4th July 1919

"CWMLLYNFELL. New Hall, Institute and Library to  be Built.  The committee which has in hand the much needed and long looked for erection of a public hall institute and library at Cwmliynfell, have appointed Sir Charles T. Ruthen, F.R.I.B.A., the architect, and we understand the plans for the new building are to be put in hand at once. It is proposed that the hall shall be capable of seating about 1,000 people, and that a library for the use of the people of Cwmliynfell, together with a billiard room end other necessary appurtenances, are to be erected, and those who are acquainted with the work of the architect mentioned will be satisfied that the building to be erected will be a monument to the district. "

 From the The Cambria Daily Leader dated 10th October 1918

"CWMLLYNFELL. Mr  Joseph Dicks, prospective Labour candidate for the Neath Division, addressed a meeting at the Congregational Chapel on Tuesday evening. Mr. Dicks took as his subject "The worker and the new social order." The meeting was presided over by Mr. H. Harries. Both Mr. Dicks and Mr. Frank Hodges, J.P. (miners' agent, Bridgend) will speak at Ystalyfera next Sunday. "

 From the The Amman Valley Chronicle and East Carmarthen News dated 9th July 1914

"CWMLLYNFELL. NEW WATERWORKS.—A fulness of joy prevailed on Thursday, when, after years of seemingly endless discussions, fruitless negotiations, disappointed hopes, and worry and toil, the culmination of the water scheme was celebrated and the benefits which it holds in its lap, formally bestowed upon the public. The proceedings are dealt with fully elsewhere, but a few things which struck a visitor may with advantage be mentioned here. Why this has been called the "Cwmllynfell" Waterworks passes comprehension, for Cwmllynfell, correctly speaking, has neither a share in its benefits nor in its expense. A thousand times more fitting would have been the name "Reservoir Powell," for to Mr. R. D. Powell belongs the lion's share of the credit for the presence of the reservoir in Cefn- brynbrain to-day, and it is to be hoped, as one of the speakers strikingly put it at the opening ceremony, that the ratepayers will see to it that he is given no more trouble in being returned to represent them on the District Council."

 From the The Amman Valley Chronicle and East Carmarthen News dated 26th March 1914

 "CWMLLYNFELL AND DISTRICT. ON WEDNESDAY EVENING, the Cwmllynfell Mutual Improvement Society held their annual "social" to mark the closing of the session. The tables were beautifully decorated and a very large number of people partook of the excellent things that had been provided for them. The President, Rev. J. Jones, in his opening speech at the concert, held in the evening, briefly sketched the excellent work done during the winter. During the evening recitations were given by ...... (part extraction only) ........."

From  The Cambrian dated 9th April 1909

"CWMLLYNFELL PITS. NOTICES EXPIRE •. TOOLS BROUGHT OUT. The notices received by the workmen of the Cwmllynfell collieries expired on Saturday, and the tools were brought out. The friction has been very great lately, and culminated in legal proceedings. The men were informed that operations would not be resumed unless the men agreed to abandon the crop workings, to abolish the stint, or the restriction the men have on the number of trains being filled per man per day; also that Mabon's Day as a holiday be abolished, and that the width of the stalls is to be increased up to 8 yards wide, and also only huge coal to be filled out The two sides met on Monday to discuss the matter in dispute. "

topup

Occupations

See under Coal Mining on the Cwmgors/Waun site

Aerial photograph of Henllys Vale Coal Mine and Quarry. Taken on 14 October 2009. - on the People's Collection Wales site

topup

Schools

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Cwmllynfell School log books   1863-1953
  • Rhiwfawr School log books, 1906-1979