Godre'r-graig in the Parish of Llangiwg
"Godre'r Graig is a village and an electoral ward of Neath Port Talbot county borough, Wales. The village developed alongside the coal workings at the Tarenni Colliery, which closed in 1949." wikipedia
"The church of the Holy Trinity, at GODRE’RGRAIG, a chapel of ease to the parish church [Ystalyfera], is an edifice of stone: the services are in Welsh : the Rev. Daniel Thomas B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter, has been curate since 1923" [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
Holy Trinity, Godrergraig
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
PANT-Y-FFYNON LOWER LOCK, THICK LOCK, SWANSEA CANAL, GODRE'R GRAIG - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Godre'r-graig in the Parish of Llangiwg to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Godre'r-graig in the Parish of Llangiwg has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN751068 (Lat/Lon: 51.745935, -3.810553), Godre'r-graig in the Parish of Llangiwg which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
There are many references to this area in the 15 million Welsh and English language articles from Welsh newspapers transcribed by the NLW and viewable on Welsh Newspapers Online
Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people
- From the Evening Express (Second Edition) dated 28th April 1898
"LOCAL POST OFFICE NOTICE. On and from Sunday next, May 1, the letters, &c., and parcels for Godrergraig Village, Church-road, Chemical-row, and Pentwyn-row will be delivered from the Godrergraig Sub-Post-office at seven a.m. on week days, and over the counter—to callers only—from eight to ten a.m. on Sundays, instead of from Ystalyfera R.S.O., as formerly. The correct postal address for Godrergraig and the places named above will be, "Godrergraig R.S.O., Glamorganshire," and the public are requested to inform their correspondents accordingly, as the misdirection of letters, &c., will probably cause delay in delivery. "
- From The Cambrian dated 4th November 1904
"Eight cases of scarlet fever had been removed to the Infectious Diseases Hospital during October and one of typhoid. Six cases of scarlet fever came from Ystalyfera and Godrergraig, one from Pontardawe, and one from Clydach. The case of typhoid came from Pontardawe. "
See under Coal Mining on the Cwmgors/Waun site