Gwauncaegurwen in the Parish of Llangiwg
"GWAUN-CAE-GURWEN is a hamlet, 4 miles north from Pontardawe. There is a Carmel Congregational chapel, founded in 1762, which has 850 sittings, and also the Hermon Congregational chapel [In Brynamman?], erected in 1909, which has 400 sittings, and a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, erected 1907, which has over 800 sittings. Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office (letters should have Glamorgan added).-Jenkin Mark, sub-postmaster . County Police, John Shellum, sergeant, & 4 constables. Public Elementary School, erected in 1867, & enlarged in 1894, for 297 boys & girls & 197 infants; John Hugh, master; Miss M. Williams, infants' mistress. Railway Station, Gwaun-cae-Gurwen, Thomas Sandbrook, station master" [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
"LOWER BRYNAMMAN is a hamlet 6 miles north from Pontardawe, and adjoins Brynamman. There are Baptist and Congregational chapels here. Post, M. O., T. & Telephone Call Office-Miss Sarah Louisa Price, sub-postmistress. Letters through Upper Brynamman, Carmarthenshire . County Police, Robert Jones, constable. Public Elementary School (mixed), erected 1896 & enlarged in 1909, for 310 boys & girls & 150 infants; Griffith Morgan, master; Mrs. M. Jenkins, mistress." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
"TAIRGWAITH, is a hamlet 1 mile east of Gwaun-cae-Gurwen station and 5 miles north from Pontardawe. The church of St. David here was erected in 1913 and a Baptist chapel in 1918. The Federation hall is situated here. Post & Telephone Call Office.-Philip John Rees, subpostmaster. Letters through, Gwaun-cae-Gurwen, Glamorgan, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 1 mile distant . Public Elementary School (mixed & infants), opened in 1907, for 16o boys & girls & a temporary building for 80 infants; David Morgan, master." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
Caegurwen; "A joint hamlet with Blaenegal, in the parish of Llanguicke, hundred of Llangyvelach, county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 9 1/2 miles (N) from Neath. The population is returned with the parish. It is situated on the border of Carmarthenshire, where the country is extremely wild and rugged, and near the right bank of the river Twrch." From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.
References to Gwaun-cae-gurwen at
- The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
Huws, L C Rev. Annibynwyr Gwauncaegurwen, 1942 has been translated and indexed by Gareth Hicks and provides history on the Carmel Independent Chapel in Gwauncaegurwen, and Tabernacl Independent Chapel in Cwmgors
CARMEL WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, CARMEL STREET, GWAUN-CAE-GURWEN - on the People's Collection Wales site
Gwauncaegurwen, Chapel of ease to Llangiwg
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the Public Record Office, London|
|Chapel||Baptisms||Marriages||Burials||OS Map Ref|
|Hen Gapel, Congregational||1822-1837||-||-||SN 71011134|
Gwauncaegurwen - on Wikipedia
Description of Caegurwen hamlet based on 1871 census - plus changes by 1891. Now included here
The 1838 Gwaun-cae-Gurwen railway : an abandoned feeder to the Swansea canal. By Paul R. Reynolds, Journal of the Railway & Canal Historical Society, 32:7 (1998), 500-505. Publisher: Railway and Canal Historical Society. ISSN 00338834. Full article, Now included here as well
The transcription of the section for Gwauncaegurwen from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Gwauncaegurwen in the Parish of Llangiwg to another place.
Cwmgors and Gwaun-cae-gurwen. A collection of links and genealogical material relating to the district surrounding these adjoining villages in the parish of Llangiwg
Central Midwives Board , Register of Cases 1906-1927 Midwife ; Margaret Davies, Coffee Tavern, 34 Gors Street, Cwmgors (some Gwaun-cae-gurwen) A listing of names/dates from the register --- compiled by Gareth Hicks
The DAVIES family of Cae-Isaf Farm, Gwaun Cae Gurwen A photograph and story on the Welsh Family History Archive site
Memoirs of G.R. Williams. A very readable account of his early childhood in GCG by Gwilym Williams, as related to and published by his granddaughter, Ruth Hartnup'.
Here is the opening paragraph;
"Sometime in 1909, we moved from Cymmer to Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen, this time drawing nearer to my mother’s ‘native heath’, and indeed this proved to be just one step towards, eventually, arriving at that ‘native heath’. The first to move to work in the Waun, in Maerdy Pit, were my grandfather and his son Tomos, leaving behind Mamgu and her family. They were in lodgings while their house, No. 3 Gron Road, was being built. At the same time No. 11, Gron Road, was being built in readiness for my parents’ move..........................................."
You can see the administrative areas in which Gwauncaegurwen in the Parish of Llangiwg has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Evans, Jonah. Hen Gymeriadau Cwmgors a'r Waun o'r flwyddyn 1840 [Old Characters of Cwmgors and Gwauncaegurwen from the year 1840], 1907. Index and translation by Jenni Hyatt
A history of Caegurwen. Now also included here. This is an overall summary of items that relate to the GCG/Cwmgors area from the book "The History of Pontardawe and District " by John Henry Davies. [see Around Pontardawe; The Second Selection; which has a feature on John Henry Davies, who was brought up in Cwmgors where his father William was a cobbler.].
Articles by Tommy Vaughan, Gwauncaegurwen©
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN704119 (Lat/Lon: 51.790697, -3.880498), Gwauncaegurwen in the Parish of Llangiwg which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Gwauncaegurwen - what's in a name ? - from the excellent place-name etymology site by Deric John
- GWAUN CAE GURWEN
- GWAIN CAEGURWEN 1832 MIERS DEEDS;
- GWAYN KYGERWEN 1681 GLAM DEEDS;
- GWAYN KEGERWEN 1574 GRO
- MANOR OF KEGERWEN 1610 BAD 5;
- LORDSHIP OF KEGERWEN 1607 CILYBEBYLL;
- GWAYNE KEGERWEN 1607 CILYBEBYLL;
- Many believe that GWAUNCAEGURWEN contains the elements GWAUN and CAE plus the personal name CURWEN or GURWEN.
- The earlier forms however suggest a different etymology of GWAUN plus CEGER and WEN (feminine and mutated form of GWYN).
- CEGER is the Glamorgan form of CEGYR / CEGID meaning HEMLOCK. (see Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru)
- CEGER WEN is 'WHITE HEMLOCK'; GWAUN CEGER WEN is 'WHITE HEMLOCK MOOR' .
- The significance of ceger wen was lost and the name was rationalised to cae gurwen.
- The village is also called Y Waun, while some refer to it as GCG. Perhaps
- GCG should change to a more etymologically correct GCW - Gwaun Ceger Wen.
- And this note from John Phillips (Dec 2008)
"Gwauncaegurwen, yn ol pob tebyg, yw gwaun-cegyrwen. Math o flodyn gwyn yw cegyrwen (water hemlock) a oedd yn tyfu un amser ar y comyn. Ceir yr un elfen yn yr enw Banwen = pan waun. Ceir 'pan' yn y gair 'pannu' , y broses o lanhau gwlan, ac yn pandy ( fulling mill). Felly mwy na thebyg darn o dir a blodau gwyn oedd yma hefyd. 'Pan oeddwn yn blentyn rwy'n cofio Mr.William Thomas, a oedd yn byw yn Clifton, yn dangos blodyn bach gwyn ac yn dweud wrthyf mai hwn oedd wedi rhoi ei enw i'r pentref."
Extracts from newspapers - local items of interest
See under Coal Mining and Farms on the Cwmgors/Waun site
Steer Pit, East Pit & Maerdy Pit, Gwaun-cae-gurwen on the Welsh Coal Mines site
Davies, Ifor. History of Coal Mining in the Amman Valley . Bi-lingual. Published by the author, 2001. A list of chapter headings and photographs by Gareth Hicks.
Reynolds, Paul R. The 1838 Gwaun-cae-Gurwen railway : an abandoned feeder to the Swansea canal. Journal of the Railway & Canal Historical Society, 32:7 (1998), 500-505. Publisher: Railway and Canal Historical Society. ISSN 00338834. Full article with content regarding coalmining Now included here as well
Pwllywrach Woollen factory, Gwauncaegurwen - 1869 to 1918 This history has been compiled by Gareth Morgan of GCG who is descended from the factory's proprietors. Now included here