Local lettings and easements
From History of Pontardawe and District by John Henry Davies, 1967
The following are particulars of some letting and casements:
- " Gwauncaegurwen Colliery Co., Ltd. Land for the erection of 21 cottages near Gwauncaegurwen Station, together with buildings thereon known as Incline Cottage and Incline Row, held by them under the Colliery lease of 3rd December, 1891, with the valuable Reversion at the expiration or sooner determination of such lease."
- " John Williams and Daniel Jenkins, Ty Isaf Quarry, 2 roods 4 1/2 perches under agreement dated 19th March, 1910, on a yearly tenancy (subject to twelve months notice). Dead rent £5 per annum, merging into the following Royalties:
- Polled Stone: 6d. per statute ton.
- Building Stone: 4d. per statute ton.
- Blocks, Quoins and Reveals: 2d. per c. foot.
- Road Stones: 4d. per statute ton.
- Flag Stones: 2d. per sq. yard.
- Sills, window heads, steps, plinths, coping, kerbing, channeling and the like: 1d. per lin. foot.
- David Harries, and later Mary Harries, by agreement dated 8th January, 1903. Gravel Pit at Cwmllynfell. Rent £2 per annum. This gravel pit adjoined Midland Railway.
- Pontardawe Rural District Council, under agreements had water from various springs on Gwauncaegurwen Common west of Clwyd Gwilym at 10/- a year, spring at Penlle'rfedwen Common, north of Penylan at a rent of £1per annum, and one at Penrhiwfawr at 10/- per annum. The Council had the right to construct storage tanks at a total rent of £3.10s. per annum.
- Brynmelyn Quarry and Tramway on Penlle'rfedwen Common paid a dead rent of £25 per annum, merging into a Royalty of 9d per ton of 2520 lbs for every ton of stone suitable for flagstones, and 2d. per ton for other stone. For making pele with clay and small coal, the clay was dug from the surface boulderclay on Caegurwen Common, and Mary Harries paid £1 in respect of the Clay taken, and William Jones paid £2 per annum for the Clay.
- The great part of the minerals were let to the Amman, Gwauncaegurwen and Cwmgors collieries. The Blaencaegurwen Colliery Company (one of the Amman Collieries) had a lease on November 24, 1846:
"All coal, culm, ironstone, iron ore, fireclay, clay, sand, sandstone and building stone lying within the or under Noyadd Farm and Gwauncaegurwen, a total of over 470 acres for a term of 99 1/2 years from September 29, 1846."
The Dead Rent was £300 per annum, merging into Royalties of 7d. per ton of 2520 lbs. for coal, culm, ironstone and iron ore, and 4d. per ton for fireclay, etc., and a Wayleave or right of passage over or under the land at 1d. per ton of 2,520 lbs.
- The Gwauncaegurwen Colliery Co., Ltd., leased on December 3, 1891, all coal, ironstone and iron ore, except Red Vein Coal, in and under part of Gwauncaegurwen Common and under Brynllefrith Farm, and also under part of Penlle'rfedwen Common and part of Penylan Farm. The Dead Rent was £1,159 per annum. In1897, a further demise of the Red Vein only lying between the Cwmllynfell and Cwmteg Faults underlying an area of 372 acres was at a Dead Rent, or rent payable whether or not the mine is worked, of £186 per annum, merging into Royalties of 5d. for every ton of 2,520 lbs. of large coal, and 2d. per like ton of small coal, 4d. per ton of fireclay, and a wayleave of 1d. per statute ton. A deduction of 5 per cent. was made for engine coal. The Red Vein was worked by the Brook Colliery, Cwmllynfell.