Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Slaters Commercial Directory, 1871

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Slaters Commercial Directory, 1871

Llangiwg in the Swansea Valley

Transcribed by Phil Mustoe

Llangiwg is a very extensive and populous parish, situated on the western side of the valley, and extending to the boundary of the county, where it is joined by Brecon. The distance from Swansea to the first part of the parish is 7 miles, but the extreme limits are 12 miles: it is in Neath union and county court district, Upper division of the county, rural deanery of West Gower, archdeaconry of Carmarthen, and diocese of St. David's: it is divided into four hamlets - viz. Mawe, Alltgrug, Eyel, and Cdegurwen: it is siuated on the high road from Swansea to Brecon: the Swansea Canal runs through some parts of the parish, and the Swansea Vale Railway has two station here, one at Pontardawe and one at Ystalyfera. The church of St. Cuik, or Guick, is an old stone building in the Norman style, and consists of nave and tower, with 2 bells, and, being on the top of a hill, is a very imposing object. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £300, in the gift of the Lord Bishop of St. David's, and held by the Rev. David Jones, of Trinity College, Dublin. There is one Welsh service here on Sundays (afternoon). His Grace the Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor. Richard Douglas Gough, esq., J. P., of Yniscedwyn house, Herbert Lloyd, esq., J. P., Killybehill, - Barrington esq., and J. G. Jeffries, esq., are principal landowners. The soil is sand; subsoil, sandstone; chiefly pasture land. The area is 12,550 acres; rateable value, £17, 000; and the population in 1861 was 7983.

Places of Woship

St. Cuick (Parish Church), Llanguick, Rev. David Jones, vicar


Daniel Benjamin, farmer
David Thomas, farmer
Evan Hezekiah, farmer
Evan John, farmer
Evan Owen, farmer
Evans Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Griffith David, beer retailer
Griffiths Thomas, farmer
Hopkin John, farmer
Howell William, farmer
Isaac David, farmer
Jones Benjamin, farmer
Jones Catherine (Mrs.), farmer
Jones David, farmer
Jones Evan, farmer
Jones Evan, grocer
Jones John, farmer & beer retailer
Martin Thomas Lott, farmer
Morgan David, farmer
Morgan Jenkin, relieving officer
Morgan Moses, farmer
Morgan Roger, farmer
Phillips John, beer retailer
Rees David, farmer
Rees Llewellyn, farmer
Watkin Watkin, farmer
Williams Hopkin, farmer
Williams Joseph, farmer

Slaters Commercial Directory Llangiwg in the Swansea Valley, 1871 [Last Updated : 19 Sept 2002 - Gareth Hicks]