Clase in the Parish of Llangyfelach
"CLAS-LOWER, a hamlet, in the parish of LLANGYVELACH, partly within the new limits of the borough of SWANSEA, and partly in the hundred of LLANGYVELACH, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (N.) from Swansea, containing 4251 inhabitants, the population having increased more than seventy-five per cent. since the census of 1821. Morriston, a considerable and thriving village, with a large population employed in the copper-works, is situated in this hamlet, but is described under its appropriate head. The Swansea canal, part of which, called Morris' canal, was constructed at the expense of the Duke of Beaufort, who receives the tolls, passes close to the village, between it and the Tawy, and hence pursues its course through the rest of the hamlet, both that river and the canal being crossed by bridges on the road leading to the town of Neath. The bridge over the Tawy, called Wych Tree Bridge, from a tree of that description which grew near its eastern end, is admired for its lightness and elegance: it consists of one arch, ninety feet in the span, with cylindrical holes in the abutments, and was executed by Mr. Edwards, the celebrated architect of Pont y Pridd. Clasemont, late the seat of Sir John Morris, situated within a short distance northwest of the village, has been recently taken down. There are, however, numerous other respectable residences scattered over the hamlet, which is in general well wooded, and presents many agreeable rides and walks, especially along the banks of the canal and the vale of the Tawy. Coal is found here in abundance. This hamlet is assessed separately for the maintenance of its poor: the average annual expenditure is £344. 4." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833 © Mel Lockie 2016]
"CLAS-HIGHER, a hamlet, in the parish and hundred of LLANGYVELACH, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (N.) from Swansea, containing 531 inhabitants. It is separately assessed for the maintenance of its poor: the average annual expenditure is £215. 18." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833 © Mel Lockie 2016]
The church is dedicated to St. Teilo, is in the Benefice of Llangyfelach, and Diocese of Swansea and Brecon. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS657978.
|Anglican Parish Registers|
|No Registers have been deposited yet|
|Non Conformist Registers Deposited|
|Chapel||Baptisms||Marriages||Burials||OS Map Ref||Deposited/
|Bethel, Calvinistic Methodist
(This chapel may be geographically just outside the Clase hamlet boundary with Llangyfelach)
PRO - Public Record Office, London
The transcription of the section for Clase from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clase in the Parish of Llangyfelach to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Clase in the Parish of Llangyfelach has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS657978 (Lat/Lon: 51.662886, -3.943159), Clase in the Parish of Llangyfelach which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)