Clydach in the Parishes of Llangyfelach and Cadoxton-juxta-Neath


"CLYDACH, or Rhyndwyclydach, is a parish and village, on the high road from Brecon to Swansea, with a station (Clydach-on-Tawe) on the Swansea and Hereford branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, about 5 miles north from Swansea; in 1847 it was formed into an ecclesiastical parish from the civil parishes of Cadoxton and Llangyfelach and is in the Neath division of the county of Glamorgan, petty sessional division and union of Pontardawe, county court district of Swansea, rural deanery of East Gower, archdeaconry of Carmarthen and diocese of St. David's. The church of St. John is a cruciform building of Welsh sandstone, in the Late Perpendicular style, ... ; there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1847. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £280 and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's and the Board of Patronage...The church of St. Mary, erected in 1905, at a cost of £12000, from designs by Mr. Bruce Vaughan F.R.I.B.A. of Cardiff, is a building of stone ... will seat 600 persons. There is also a chapel of ease to the church of St. John at TREBANOS, erected in 1912, to seat 300 persons. The remains of a British cross of the 5th century have been built into the east wall of the Unitarian chapel. At Carn Llechart stands a circular dolmen. Ynys penllwch, which is used as a home for Catholic children, is an elegant mansion, standing in its own grounds, surrounded by trees and bounded on one side by the river Tawe ; from the house and grounds can be seen the hills for a long distance on either side of the valley. The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor; the principal landowners are John Herbert Purdon Lloyd esq. J.P. and H. N. Miers esq., J.P. The soil is alluvial; subsoil, gravel. The area of the civil parish (Rhyndwyclydach) is 7,636 acres of land and 68 of water; rateable value, £37, 556; the population of the ecclesiastical parish (Clydach) in 1911 was 7,707, and of the civil parish, 6,994." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]


Business & Commerce Records

Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • General view of Clydach and Mond Nickel Works, Clydach
  • Colour transparency of warehouse crane at Players Works, Clydach, taken by Iain Wright, 1979

Church History

Davies, Rev. D. The history of the Calvinistic Methodists in Clydach. 1902. Here is an index by Mike Doyl


Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

There are two Anglican churches :-

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the West Glamorgan Archive Service (WGAS)
Chapel Baptisms Marriages Burials
Hebron Independent 1808-1837 -

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Clydach in the Parishes of Llangyfelach and Cadoxton-juxta-Neath which are provided by:



Transcript of name listing for Clydach, from Slaters Directory for 1871.



The transcription of the section for Clydach from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Clydach in the Parishes of Llangyfelach and Cadoxton-juxta-Neath has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Evans, Rev. T. Valentine. The History of Clydach (Clydach a'r cylch). 1901. Gorseinon. Translated by Ivor Griffiths. Here is an index by Mike Doyle

Griffiths, Ivor. Ynyspenllwch : a brief history. 1992/93. Here is an index by Mike Doyle

Memories of Old Clydach. The results of a Heritage Lottery Funded project to gather local people's memories of Clydach on Tawe during World War 2 and the 1950s. - on the People's Collection Wales site



You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN694014 (Lat/Lon: 51.696109, -3.891043), Clydach in the Parishes of Llangyfelach and Cadoxton-juxta-Neath which are provided by:



Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Clydach School records "Records of Clydach School, 1867-1983, including log books, 1875-1983; admission registers, 1867-1975; attendance registers, 1918-1942; school returns, 1923-1951; regulations, 1932-1943; reports, 1957-1965; plans, c.1900; stock and inventory books, 1948-1978; circulars and correspondence, 1949-1972; miscellaneous records, 1921-1962."