The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LLANGYFELACH, (or Llangyfelach) a parish in the hundred of the same name, county Glamorgan, 3 miles N. of Swansea, its post town, and 7 W. of Neath. It is situated in the vicinity of the river Tawe, and includes the townships of Morriston, Mawr, Penderry, and Rhyndwy Clydach, and the hamlet of Close. The South Wales railway has a station at Swansea. A battle was fought here in 990, in which Howel, Prince of South Wales, was defeated. This was formerly, a demesne of Brecon College, and is a very populous parish, containing above 10,000 persons. Numerous copper-works and collieries give employment to the inhabitants. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value with the curacy of Gorseinon annexed, £300, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Cyvelach, is a modern edifice, affixed to the tower of the former one. It has monuments to the Llewellyn family. There are also two district churches, the one at Clydach, and the other at Morriston; the livings of both are perpetual curacies, value respectively, £150 and £85. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Calvinistic Methodists, have places of worship. The parochial charities amount to nearly £30 per annum. In the neighbourhood some Roman remains have been met with. A fair is held on the 1st March.
"CLASE, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Llangyfelach, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 3 miles N. of Swansea."
"LANDORE, a railway station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway, in the parish of Llangyfelach, county Glamorgan, 2 miles from Swansea."
"MAWR, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Llangyfelach, county Glamorgan, 7 miles N. of Swansea. It is situated near the Via Julia. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the pits."
"PENDERRY, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Llangyfelach, county Glamorgan, 4 miles N. of Swansea."
"RHYNDWRY CLYDACH, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Llangyfelach, county Glamorgan, 6 miles N. of Swansea. The inhabitants are engaged in the collieries and iron-works; from the latter there is a line of rail leading to the canal."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018