In 1868, the parish of Llangynwyd contained the following places:
"LLANGYNWYD, a parish in the hundred of Newcastle, county Glamorgan, 7 miles N.W. of Bridgend, its post town, and 9 S.E. of Neath. It lies among the hills, and near the source of the river Ogmore. The parish includes three hamlets, called Higher, Middle, and Lower Llangynwyd, also that of Cwmdu. Here are collieries, iron mines, and lime works, from which there is a tram-road of about 17 miles to Porthcawl. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of LLandaff, value with the curacies of Baidan and Maesteg annexed, £135. The, church is dedicated to St. Cynwyd. A fair is held on the 3rd May.
"BAYDEN, a chapelry in the parish of Llangynwyd, hundred of Newcastle, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 4 miles to the N. of Bridgend.
"CWMDU, a hamlet in the parish of Llangynwyd, hundred of Newcastle, in the county of Glamorgan, 5½ miles E. of Aberafon. It is situated on a branch of the river Llynvi. The inhabitants are engaged in the iron-works and collieries."
"MAESTEG, a village in the parish of Llangynwyd, county Glamorgan, 8 miles N.W. of Bridgend by the Llynoi Valley railway, on which it is a station. This is a place of recent growth on the banks of the river Ogmore, and has extensive ironworks. A tram-road communicates between this and Porthcawl."