Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire and South Wales,1895
Contributed by Ruth Curtis (Nov 2005)
LLANHARAN is a parish and small village, 3 miles north from Llantrisant Junction station, on the Great Western railway, 8 north-east from Bridgend, 14 from Cardiff and 6 north-west from Cowbridge, in the Southern division of the county of Glamorgan, Cowbridge hundred and petty-sessional division, Bridgend and Cowbridge union and county court district, rural deanery of Lower Groneath (western division) and archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaff. The church of SS. Julius and Aaron, built in 1858, is a small building of stone in a modern style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, transept and a small turret with spire, containing 2 bells; there are 120 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1615; burials, 1719; marriages, 1754. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Llanilid, tithe-rent charge £330, average £240, net income £210, with 3 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1875 by the Rev. John Morgan, who resides at Llanilid. A charity of about £24 is distributed in money and blankets. Here is the Meiros colliery. On the borders of the parish adjoining Pontyclun are the works, a coal mine and steam joinery works. One mile west is a mineral spring called "Garth Maylwg", noted for tis medicinal properties, and in the summer months a favourite resort of tourists and visitors generally. Llanharan House is the seat of Col. John Blandy-Jenkins, J.P. and Lanelay Hall, of Thomas James Masters, esq. The Marquis of Bute K.T., Col. Blandy-Jenkins and Arthur Vaughan Hanning Vaughan-Lee esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is red loam; subsoil, limestone. The chief crops are barley, oats and wheat. The area is 3,626 acres; rateable value £14,949; and the population in 1891 was 607.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Richards
Post, M.O. & T.O., S.B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office - Miss Ann Davies, sub-postmistress. Letters through Pontyclun R.S.O. arrive at 7:50 a.m. & 6:10 p.m. dispatched at 6:15 p.m. weeks days only.
A School Board of 7 members was formed 26 Nove. 1890 for the united district of Llanharan, Llanilid & Peterston-super-Montem; John Rees, clerk to the board.
School, built in 1892, for the three parishes, for 220 children; average attendance, 80 boys, 50 girls, & 40 infants; John Smith, master; Mrs. Ann Smith, mistress.
- Blandy-Jenkins Col. John J.P., Llanharan House
- Masters Thomas James, Lanelay Hall
- Williams Rev. John (Congregational)
- Beard John, general smith
- Brangham Mary Ann (Mrs), shopkeeper
- David Lewis G., farmer, Bryncae
- David Richard, engineer & ironfounder
- David Thomas, farmer, Coidlai
- David Thomas, farmer, Whitehall
- Davies Evan, farmer, Craiglwlyd
- Davies Ivor, shopkeeper
- Davies John, shoe maker
- Davies John, Turberville hotel
- Edwards John, farmer, Ynysmaerdy
- Ely Tin Plate Co., tinplate manufacturers; & at Morriston
- Glamorgan Steam Joinery Co. Lim. (David Williams, manager)
- Hole John, shopkeeper
- Hopkins Thomas Hopkin, manager, Meiros colliery
- Hosking William, grocer &c.
- John Evan, grocer & post office
- Lewis Margaret (Mrs), farmer
- Llantrisant Gas Light & Coke Co. Limited (James Escott, Manager)
- Madge James, tobacconist
- Miles Thomas, farmer, Mayrose
- Morgan Alice (Mrs), shopkeeper
- Morgan Evan, farmer, Trenore Isaf
- Morgan Morgan, High Corner House P.H.
- Morgan Sarah Ann (Miss), farmer, Garth Ucha
- Noel Brothers & Co. Limited, sanitary appliance manufacturer
- Powell Richard, grocer & draper
- Reading George, shopkeeper
- Rees Thomas, butcher
- Rees Thomas, farmer, Craig-Fatha
- Roberts Henry, shopkeeper
- Thomas William, farmer, Coedcae
- Welsh Estate & Property Co. Lim., Colliery owners (Thomas H. Hopkins, manager), Meiros colliery
- Williams Thomas, farmer, Ynysddu
[Last Updated : 22 Nov 2005 Gareth Hicks]