Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Llanharry

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Llanharry

Primary tabs

"LLAN HARY, in the Cwmwd of Maenor Rhuthyn, Cantref of Penythen (now called the Hundred of Cowbridge), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Rectory valued in the King's Books at £5..12..8 1/2: Patron, Henry Streatfield, Esq.: Church dedicated to St. Arau. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 194. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £122..0..1 1/2, at 6s. 7d. in the pound. It is 4 m. N. b. E. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains from 800 to 1000 acres of inclosed Land. The present worthy Rector, The Rev. G. GRIFFITHS, has been Rector of this Parish 48 years. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, and Glebe, was £94..19..0." (From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811)

"LLANHARY (LLAN-ARAU), a parish in the hundred of COWBRIDGE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (N. N. E.) from Cowbridge, containing 208 inhabitants. The lands of this parish are generally enclosed, and in a good state of cultivation : a portion of its substrata consists of coal of good quality, which is worked for the supply of the immediate neighbourhood. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £5. 12. 8 1/2., and in the patronage of Richard Hoare Jenkins, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Aran. There is a place of worship for Independents. Mr. Gibbon, of Newton House, near Cowbridge, bequeathed £ 10, the interest of which is annually distributed among the poor. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £78. 19." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)

topup

Archives and Libraries

topup

Bibliography

Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

topup

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Glamorgan Haematite Iron Ore Mine, Llanharry records    1906-1936          "Two sets of engines and pumps were supplied to the Cardiff Haematite Iron Ore Company Ltd, which operated Glamorgan Haematite Iron Ore Mine and Llanharry Iron Mine, by Hathorn, Davey & Co (Leeds), the first being ordered in October 1908. Additional pumps for the same plant were ordered in January 1911. A second plant was ordered in June 1916, but was not commissioned until January 8th 1920."
topup

Cemeteries

The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. Illtyd
  • Peniel Chapel

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llanharry area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

Chapels Database  - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of  Llanharry, St Illtyd's Church

topup

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Illtyd, and is in the Benefice of Llanharry. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST003801.

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1725-1901, Marriages, 1725-1837, Burials, 1725-1901. Visit their website for information on how to purchase these fiche.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1813-1983 1814-1983 1813-1982 - 1725-1744, 1747, 1751-1820, 1823-1836, 1838

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llanharry Ecclesiastical Parish records          "........ including registers of baptisms, 1813-1983; marriages, 1814-1983; burials, 1812-1982"

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • Llanharry, St. Illtyd - Christenings (BT's), 1823-1875
topup

Description and Travel

    Llanharry - on Wikipedia

    You can see pictures of Llanharry which are provided by:

    topup

    Gazetteers

    The transcription of the section for Llanharry from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

    Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanharry to another place.

    Click here for a list of nearby places.

    topup

    Historical Geography

    Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish

    • Trecastell
    • Degar

    You can see the administrative areas in which Llanharry has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

    topup

    Land and Property

    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Trecastle Estate, Glamorgan papers    1609-1941        "George Gibbon, living in 1609, is noted as residing in Trecastle, otherwise Tre'rcastell, Llanharry, Glamorgan, also known as Scurla Castle. His great-grandson, Thomas Gibbon (d 1699) died without issue, so that the estate passed to his wife, Jenet, daughter of Griffith Grant of Wilton. She bequeathed the estate to her great-nephew, Grant Gibbon (d 1771), son of William Gibbon of Pencraigadda, Glamorgan........................................."
    topup
    topup

    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within Llanharry as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Glenys Travis)

    • Llanharry [107] - Celli gneuen, Coed Fforest, Coed Trecastell, Coed wiw, Cwm Graban (-gran in 1884), Degar Ty diffrwyth, Gwaun Llanharry, Iron Mine, Llechau, Llwyn-y-barcud, Pant gwyn, Pedair onen, Rectory, Torgelli, Ty-du, Ty-isaf, Tyle-garw, Tynewydd, Ty'n-y-waun.
    topup

    Newspapers

    There are many references to this area in the 15 million Welsh and English language articles from Welsh newspapers transcribed by the NLW and viewable on Welsh Newspapers Online
    Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people

    • From  The Glamorgan Gazette 21st May 1909

    LLANHARRY. Llansannor and. Llanharry School Childrens Concert.—Another of these popular concerts, so much appreciated in the locality, was given at the school, under the- direction of the master and mistress, Mr. and Mrs. D. R. C. Davies. Every item of the programme, which consisted of part songs, action songs, choruses, recitations, sketches, etc., was well received and deservedly applauded, especially the action, songs by the infants, who sang and performed with commendable zeal and intelligence. The Schoolroom was packed to its utmost capacity, several persons being unable to gain admission    ....(part extract).......

    • From The Glamorgan Gazette 27th April 1894

    LLANHARRY. EMIGRATION.—The sons and daughters of the fair village of Llanharry who have left for the colonies and other distant parts of the earth since the good old days when the generous William Hopkin and varied industries in which he speculated, flourished, could be numbered by the dozens, and many formerly well-kept cottages now lie in ruins, and remind one of Goldsmith's Deserted Village. A short time ago Messrs Rees and John Maddocks, sons of Mrs Maddocks, y Fronwen, and grandchildren of the late well-known and respected Mr Thomas Morgan, Sker, together with Mr David Davies, son of Mr J. Davies, Windmill Farm, Llanharry, and the Ogmore Vale Hotel, left for Johannesburg, South Africa.    ....(part extract).......

    •  From The Western Mail 19th January 1870

    LLANHARRY. FALL OF A HOUSE.—One of the consequences of the late storms and severe weather was the sudden fall of a house in this village on Saturday morning last, about 2 o'clock. The inmates, Miss Bosser and household, had retired to rest as usual on Friday night, in a part of the house which, fortunately, was left standing; and, about the above- mentioned hour, the whole of the rest of the premises, with. out the least warning, fell down with a crash. The shop was included in the ruins. Had the usual occupants of the shop been at their posts, as in the daytime, two deaths at least would have had to be recorded. The pecuniary loss is extensive.

    •  From The Western Mail 8th July 1870

    LLANHARRY. EXTRAORDINARY FREAK OF NATURE.-The manners and customs of bees have been from time immemorial the study and amusement of philosophic and inquiring minds; but still new wonders of this curious insect world occur to observation. A short time ago a large swarm of bees was missed from an apiary in this village, and by the owners given up for lost, when on Monday last the landlord of the Colliers' Arms, having occasion to refer to an empty half barrel in the rear of the premises found it tenanted by the swarm of bees in active employment, the swarm having entered by the tap-hole, which now serves for their ingress and egress. The circumstance is not only remarkable from a naturalist's point of view, as showing the decided anti-teetotal propensities of the honey bee, but valuable, too, as a testimonial to the excellent quality of the "nut brown" retailed by the host of the "Colliers." Also, it is evident that the fortunate possessor has only to wait till the bees fill the kilderkin, then, watching for a happy moment, when the bees are all out gathering honey, cork up the hole, Substitnte an empty cask for the full one, to preserve a succession of crops, forward the cask of honey per rail to Fortnum and Mason, realise the value, and encourage the arrangement as a family heirloom and annuity.

    •  From The Cardiff Times 7th September 1907

    LLANHARRY IRON ORE MINES Finding of Ore. The sinking of these mines is now making progress. Pieces of good hematite ore have just been found, which are considered a favourable indication- A survey is being made of the district from the new shaft to the Great Western Railway at Llantrisant station with a view to erecting an aerial ropeway for carrying the ore to the various works.

    topup

    Population

    The Population of Llanharry was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

    1841 - 268 1851 - 261 1861 - 275 1871 - 290 1881 - 259 1891 - 280
    topup

    Public Records

    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Llanharry Civil Parish records        " ...... comprising tithe plan and apportionment, 1843; altered tithe apportionment, 1924; list of landlords and tenements, 1896"