1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Llanharry contained the following places:
"LLANHARRY, a parish in the hundred of Cowbridge, county Glamorgan, 3 miles S.E. of Llantrissant, and 3' N. of Cowbridge, its post town. Coal is obtained here, and recently a bed of iron ore has been discovered, 5 feet in thickness, together with remains of Roman workings and pottery, showing that the Romans were well acquainted with the mineral treasures of South Wales. Some of the inhabitants are engaged in the neighbouring hematite iron mines of Cornel and Mwyndy, in which the ore is worked opencast like a quarry. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £120. The church is dedicated to St. Aran. The charities of this parish produce about £10."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018