There are many references to this area in the 15 million Welsh and English language articles from Welsh newspapers transcribed by the NLW and viewable on Welsh Newspapers Online
Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people
- From The Glamorgan Gazette 18th February 1910
LLANILID PLOUGHING MATCH ALL ROUND ADVANCE. The fact that a ploughing and banking match was needed for Llanilid and district was shown by the success which attended the second annual event on Feb. 9th. A field at Brynewttyn Farm had been kindly placed at the disposal of the society by Mr. E. Hummer. In all directions improvement was made upon last year. There were more entries, a larger attendance, better prizes, and a higher class of work .. (part extract)...
- From the Weekly Mail 22nd September 1883
RE-OPENING OF LLANILID CHURCH, GLAMORGANSHIRE. Those who have known the condition the ancient church of Llanilid has been in during the past few years know also how urgently needed were the improvements and alterations which have been recently carried out there. The flag-stones tilted up in a manner which made it extremely dangerous to walk the nave, the seats were almost falling to pieces, and daylight peeped through various holes in the roof. The difficulty of obtaining the necessary funds for Church restoration in rural and thinly-populated parishes must be apparent to all, and it must have been by zealous working that the respected Rector of Llanilid (the Rev. John Morgan) succeeded in obtaining the funds necessary to improve his church. The work was entrusted to Messrs. T. and W, Cox, of Llandaff, who have carried it out in a very satisfactory manner. ....(part extract)...
- From The South Wales Star 22nd May 1891
POOR RATE. —The magistrates signed a poor- rate for the parishes of Llanilid. St. Athan. Ystradowen, Lisworney. and Pendoyian.
- From the South Wales Echo (Special edition) 26th July 1890
PARISHES WITHOUT PAUPERS. The following parishes in the Cowbridge district were, or were very recently, without any paupers Eglwysbrewis, Flemingstone, Gilestone, Llanilid, Llanmihangel, Lisworney, Marcross, Monkaash, Nash, and Stembridge,