"LLANFIHANGEL Y BONT FAEN, in the Cwmwd of Maenor Glynn Ogwr, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred Ogmore), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Rectory, not in charge: Patron, Thomas Wyndham, Esq.: Church dedicated to St. Michael. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 53. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £34..9..6, at 1s. 3d. in the pound. It is 2 1/2 m. S. S. W. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains between six and seven hundred acres of inclosed Land. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, and Glebe, was £72..11..3." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
"LLANMIHANGEL (LLAN-VIHANGEL Y BONT-VAEN), a parish in the hundred of COWBRIDGE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (S. by W.) from Cowbridge, on the road to Lantwit-Major, containing 53 inhabitants. Llanmihangel Place, for many generations the seat of the family of Thomas, was sold to Sir Humphrey Edwin, lord mayor of London, some time in the seventeenth century : it was subsequently the residence for sixty years of the late John Franklin, Esq., one of the Welsh judges, and is now the property of Earl Dunraven. In the grounds belonging to it is the finest collection of evergreens to be met with in this part of the principality ; and the yew trees, hollies, and cypresses, which are remarkable for the luxuriance of their growth, are perhaps unrivalled by any in the country. The living is a rectory not in charge, with that of Flemingston consolidated, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, and in the patronage of the Earl of Dunraven. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a small edifice, not characterized by any remarkable architectural features. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £34. 11." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)
The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
- Parish Church of St. Michael
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The church is dedicated to St. Michael, and is in the Benefice of Llantwit Major. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS982719.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|1755-1811, 1813-1993||1759-1804, 1816-1837, 1841-1969||1755-1811, 1813-1991||1892-1958||1813-1816, 1820-1821, 1836-1837|
The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-
- Llanmihangel, St. Michael - Christenings (BT's), 1813-1874
Conservation areas within the Vale of Glamorgan. See Llanmihangel - "Conservation areas are areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance"
The transcription of the section for Llanmihangel from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanmihangel to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanmihangel has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Dunraven Estate Records [early 13 cent.]- 1951 "The Dunraven estate comprised the Glamorgan estates of the Edwin family of Llanmihangel Betws Iarll, Glamorgan, and the Glamorgan and Gloucestershire estate of the Wyndham families of Dunraven, Glamorgan, and of Clearwell, Gloucestershire. The Dunraven and Clearwell estates were united when Jane, daughter and eventual heiress of John Wyndham of Dunraven, married her cousin Thomas Wyndham of Clearwell. When Jane died, Thomas married secondly Anne, daughter of Samuel Edwin of Llanmihangel. Thomas Wyndham died in 1751 and Anne his second wife in 1758. Their son and heir Charles Wyndham, MP for Glamorgam, 1780-1789, inherited both estates.
The Llanmihangel estate had been purchased in 1685 from Sir Robert Thomas by Humphrey Edwin, alderman of London, and had passed successively to his son Samuel Edwin and to Samuel's son, Charles Edwin. The latter's nephew Charles Wyndham inherited the Llanmihangel estate and assumed the surname Edwin in accordance with his uncle's will, but soon reverted to Wyndham. Following his death in 1801 the three estates of Dunraven, Clearwell and Llanmihangel passed to his son, Thomas Wyndham, on whose death in 1814 the estates passed to his daughter, Caroline who, in 1810, had married Windham Henry Quin of Adare, County Limerick, who assumed the surname Wyndham-Quin, and became later 2nd Earl of Dunraven"
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS982721 (Lat/Lon: 51.438493, -3.466573), Llanmihangel which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanmihangel parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Glenys Travis)
- Llanmihangel  - Llanmihangel, Mill, Moorshead, Rectory, Sigingstone.
There are many references to this area in the 15 million Welsh and English language articles from Welsh newspapers transcribed by the NLW and viewable on Welsh Newspapers Online
Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people
- From the Glamorgan Gazette 16th October 1908
LLANMIHANGEL. The Annual Thanksgiving: Service after the harvest was held in the Parish Church on Friday evening. The parishioners kindly decorated the church with flowers, fruit, vegetables and corn. The Rev. D. Phillips, vicar of Newcastle, Bridgend, preached an impressive sermon to a good congregation.. The service was conducted by the Rector, and the psalms, hymns, and canticles were well rendered by Mrs. M. E. Jones and the choir from Lisworney,
- From The Glamorgan Gazette 19th November 1909
LLANMIHANGEL. Restoration of the Parish Church.— Special services were held in the Parish Church on the 10th inst., at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. In the afternoon a restoration service was held. The church tower has recently been pointed, and had a new staircase turret added to it on the north side, so that it may be possible to approach the upper part of the tower for necessary purposes without any difficulty. A new stove has also been placed on the ground floor of the tower,. which is used as a vestry ....(part extract)....
The Population of Llanmihangel was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.
|1841 - 50||1851 - 37||1861 - 29||1871 - 38||1881 - 42||1891 - 53|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Llanmihangel Civil Parish records " ........ comprising tithe plan and apportionment, 1840; altered tithe apportionment, 1922-1923; certificate of redemption of rent charge, 1922; poor rate book, 1924-1926"