1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Llansamlet contained the following places:
"LLANSAMLET, a parish in the hundred of Llangyfelach, county Glamorgan, 3½ miles N.E. of Swansea, its post town, and 4 W. of Neath. It is a station on the South Wales railway, which is here carried up a steep incline before descending into the valley of the Tawe. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Tawe and the Swansea canal. Here are collieries and copper works. The soil is naturally sterile, and the stunted vegetation is still further checked by the deleterious influence of the fluoric and arsenical acids from the numerous copper works, so that the Vale of Tawe, as far as Swansea, exhibits an unparalleled scene of desolation. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. David's, value with the curacy of Kilvey annexed, £150, in the patronage of the bishop. The parochial charities produce about £7 per annum. Glanebrane is the principal residence."
"GLANBRAN, a seat in the parish of Llansamlet, near Neath Abbey, county Glamorgan."
"KILVEY, a chapelry in the parish of Llansamlet, county Glamorgan, 4 miles from Swansea. The living is a curacy annexed to Llansamlet."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018