"LLAN SANNWR, in the Cwmwd of Pen y Bont, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Cowbridge), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Rectory, valued in the King's Books at £7..15..7 1/2: Patron, John Francis Gwyn, Esq.: Church dedicated to St. Senewyr. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 170. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £63..5..3, at 3s. in the pound. It is 2 m. N. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains about 1500 acres of Land; 1400 of which are inclosed and cultivated, and the remaining 100 are still uninclosed. Mr. Gwyn is the Proprietor of the principal part of the Parish. It is situate upon the river Sannwr, which rises in this Parish, and flows onward to Cowbridge, where it changes its name for that of Ddaw. Here are the vestiges of an ancient Chapel, called Brigam. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, 82..10..6." (A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811)
"LLANSANNOR (LLAN - SAN - NWR), otherwise THAW, a parish in the hundred of COWBRIDGE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (N.) from Cowbridge, containing 184 inhabitants. This place is situated on the river Thaw, which rises in the parish, and, proceeding by Cowbridge, in its course to which place it occasionally forms the boundary between Llansannor and Penllyne, falls into the channel, about six miles distant, where it forms the little harbour of Aberthaw. The soil is chiefly sandy, and the parish, which comprises about twelve hundred acres, is for the most part flat : the lands are, with the exception of a very small portion, enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. Llansannor House, formerly the residence of the lord of the manor ; and Brigam, the property of Sir Charles Taylor, are both now in a greatly dilapidated condition, and in the occupation of tenants : near the latter are the remains of an ancient castle, formerly of some note in this part of the principality. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £7. 15.7 1/2., and in the patronage of J. F. Gwyn, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Senewyr, is a small ancient edifice : at the south end of the chancel is an ancient recumbent effigy of a warrior clad in armour, with a sword and shield, the head resting on a lion, and at the feet a dog. Mr. Edward Thomas, of Argoed, in this parish, bequeathed to the poor half the rent of a house and croft in the parish of St. Mary Hill, now producing £ 4 per annum. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 130. 17." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)
Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.
The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
- Parish Church of St. Senwyr
Glamorgan Chapels Database - no non-conformist chapels found in this parish
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The church is dedicated to St. Senwyr, and is in the Benefice of Cowbridge Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference SS993775.
A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1723-1901, Marriages, 1724-1845, Burials, 1723-1900.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-
- Llansannor, St. Senwyr - Christenings (BT's), 1724-1868
The transcription of the section for Llansannor from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llansannor to another place.
Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish
You can see the administrative areas in which Llansannor has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Gwyn family of Llansannor and Forde Abbey, Devon
1714-75: estate account book
[Glamorgan Archive Service, Cardiff]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS989787 (Lat/Lon: 51.498079, -3.458161), Llansannor which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Llansannor as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Glenys Travis)
- Llansannor  - Afon Dawen, Argoed ganol, Argoed isaf, Argoed uchaf, Breigam, Broadway, Cae-Rhys-ddu, City, Fron-wen, Garwa, Gelligaer Castle AM, Gelli-goll, Graig, Is y coed, Llansannor Court, Llansannor, New forest, Pant y-llywydd, Pen-y-lan, Rectory, Ton-breigam, Trallwm, Windmill Fm.
There are many references to this area in the 15 million Welsh and English language articles from Welsh newspapers transcribed by the NLW and viewable on Welsh Newspapers Online
Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people
- From The Glamorgan Gazette 5th March 1909
LLANSANNOR. Concert.—The annual concert in aid of Llansannor Church Choir funds was held at Llansannor and Llanharry School on Thursday last week, when an overcrowded audience was present. The following were the artistes Miss G. Mathias (Porth). Mr. Gegg, Mr. and Miss Palmer, Miss Blodwen Seale (all of Pontypridd), Miss Gwladys Richards (Llanlharry Meadow), Mr. and Mrs. D. R. C. Davies and Miss Winifred N. Davies (of Llansannor and Llanharry School). The accompanists were Miss Winifred Davies, Miss Maggie Thomas, and Mr. and Miss Palmer. All the performers were well received, and a lengthy, but varied, programme seemed to be thoroughly appreciated.
- From the South Wales Daily News 22nd January 1887
PLOUGHING MATCH AT LLANSANNOR. By permission of Sir Joseph E. Spearman, Bart., the Glamorgan Ploughing Society held their annual ploughing contests, on Thursday, in a field adjacent to Llansannor Court. Although tlie weather had been very bad for some time, the land was in excellent trim, and the competitions were invested with interest to the competitors, especially the digging-plough trials. The following are the awards .......(part extract)......
- From the Evening Express (Third Edition) 26th July 1899
INSPECTION OF LLANSANNOR iCOURT ESTATE. Members of the Cardiff New Asylum Committee visited Llansannor on Tuesday to inspect a site for the new asylum offered to the committee by Mr. D. T. Alexander on behalf of the owner, Sir Thomas Morel. The inspecting party consisted of .......(part extract)......
- From the South Wales Daily News (Third Edition) 8th April 1892
LLANSANNOR. A CHILD DROWNED, -On Wednesday the wife of Andrew Telfer, gamekeeper, Llansannor, went to a neighbour's house for about 20 minutes, leaving Annie, aged four years, and a younger daughter in the house. On her return she found the child Annie missing, and on searching the field at the back of the house, through which the mill stream runs, found the child in about 2½ feet of water. When taken out the child still signs of life, but died in a few minutes and before any assistance could be obtained.
The Population of Llansannor was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.
|1841 - 204||1851 - 208||1861 - 197||1871 - 205||1881 - 187||1891 - 197|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Llansannor Civil Parish Records "......... including overseer's and surveyor's account book, 1817-1819; list of men liable to serve as chief constable of Cowbridge higher, 1825; overseer's and surveyor's rate book, 1817-1818; overseer's account book, 1827-1830; copy of tithe plan and apportionment, 1845 [copied c1980]"