Llantrithyd - Gazetteers
"LLANTRITHYD (LLAN-TRYDDYD), a parish in the hundred of DINAS-POWIS, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Cowbridge, containing 221 inhabitants.
On the conquest of Glamorgan by Robert Fitz-Hamon, and its subsequent division, the castle and manor of Llantrithyd were assigned to Hywel ab Iestyn ab Gwrgan, with the privilege of exercising jura regalia therein. The castle was demolished, in 1151, by Meredith, great grandson of Rhys ab Tewdwr.
The village, which stands about a mile to the south of the road between Cardiff and Swansea, occupies a secluded situation in a well-wooded valley, which is watered by a small rivulet. Llantrithyd House, formerly the seat of the Bassets, and subsequently of the Aubreys, is now in ruins : it was a fine specimen of the style that prevailed in the reign of Henry VI., with later additions, and is stated by tradition to have afforded an asylum, during the Commonwealtb, to many great and learned men of the Church of England, by whom academical degrees were here conferred.
On a rising ground above the village is pleasantly situated Tyvree, a cottage ornee, the residence of Henry Seymour, Esq., who is proprietor of a considerable part of the parish, and to whom also belongs an extra-parochial farm of about one hundred and twenty acres, called Caer-main, together with twenty-four acres contiguous, also tithe-free. Limestone abounds in the parish, in which also a considerable quantity of lead-ore is found.
The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £8. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Sir Thomas Aubrey, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Illtyd, is a respectable edifice, containing a few ancient monuments, among which may be particularly noticed a stately one to the memory of a knight and his lady, of the Basset family, in the best character of the style which prevailed in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. In the churchyard is a remarkable yew tree, which, at the height of six feet from the ground, measures twenty-six feet in girth, and near the root, little less than forty feet.
The ancient hall, wherein the manorial courts were held, still remains, and having been applied, since the abolition of the independent jurisdictions of the lordships marcher, to the reception of the poor, it is now called " the Church House."
Here is a mineral spring, the water of which is said to be efficacious in the cure of fluxes.
The poor of this parish are entitled to the produce of two acres of land in the parish of St. Hilary, purchased with £45, the bequest of an unknown benefactor, and to the interest of £50, bequeathed, in 1744, by Mrs. Lougher. The average annual expenditure for their support is £76. 7."
"LLAN TRYDDYD, in the Cwmwd of Is Caeth, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Dinas Powys), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Rectory valued in the King's Books at £8.. 13..4: Patron, Sir John Aubrey, Bart. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 180. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £65..13..8, at 3s. in the pound. It is 3 m. S.E. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains about 1000 acres of inclosed and fertile Land; of which, about 100 acres are Woodland, and contain a considerable quantity of good Timber. It is situate on a Limestone rock, and possesses some veins of Lead, Calamine or Zinc, and Manganese. There are two acres of Land in the adjoining Parish of St. Hilary, belonging to the Poor of this Parish, and which now let for £5..5..0. per annum: the Estate of Sir John Aubrey is also chargeable with 5s. annually to the Poor of this Parish.
Here is a Spring of Mineral Water, the efficacy whereof is generally known, and in use in fluxes.
On the Conquest of Glamorgan by Robert Fitzhamon, the Lordship of Llan Tryddyd was granted to Hywel, son of Jestyn ab Gwrgant, the rejected Prince of Glamorgan, with the right of exercising Jura Regalia within it: the ancient Hall, wherein his Courts were holden, still remains; and having been, since the Incorporation of Wales with England, applied to Parochial uses, is now called The Church House, and is converted into an Alms-house.
Llan Thyddyd house, a Seat of Sir John Aubrey's, is a spacious edifice, and presents a fine specimen of Architecture of the reign of King Henry the Sixth; some of the Windows are uncommonly large. In the Chancel of the Church is a grand and superbly ornamented Monument, erected in the early part of the reign of Queen Elizabeth, and on which are the recumbent figures of a Knight and his Lady, as large as life; and connected with it above, are the figures of a Knight and his Lady, nearly as large as life, in the attitude of Prayer.
In the Church-yard is a remarkable Yew Tree, which girts 26 feet at the height of six feet from the ground, but which, near the root, is not much less than 40 feet in circumference.
Tradition says, that Llan Tryddyd House was an Asylum to many great and learned men of the Church of England, during the Protectorate; and that Academical degrees were conferred there."
[Last Updated : 22 Jan 2005 - Gareth Hicks]