Glyntaff in Llantwit Fardre, Eglwysilan & Llanwonno
"GLYN-TAF, a hamlet, in the parish of EGLWYSILAN, hundred of CAERPHILLY, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, comprising the greater part of the extensive and populous village of Newbridge, and containing 635 inhabitants. It is situated on the left bank of the river Tif, where it is joined by the Rhondda, and affords very fine views up the vale of the latter. The road from Cardiff to Merthyr-Tydvil proceeds here between the river Taf and the Cardiff canal, and within a few yards of both. The bridge called Pont y Prydd, celebrated for the singularity of its architecture, crosses the steep banks of the river Tif at this place, near the village of Newbridge." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833 © Mel Lockie 2016]
From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks
- The cemetery, at Glyn Taff, is 21 acres in extent, with two mortuary chapels, and is under the control of the Pontypridd Burial Board, formed in 1871 and consisting of 14 members.
The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and is in the Benefice of Glyntaff Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST085895.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
At the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth)
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Glyntaff Ecclesiastical Parish records " .......... including registers of baptisms, 1848-1952; marriages, 1848-1981; burials, 1848-2002; banns, 1904-1948; services, 1907-1939; parochial church council; 1924-1930"
Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-
- Rhydyfelin (St. Luke) - In the parish of Eglwysilan
The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-
- Glyntaff, St. Mary - Christenings (BT's), 1848-1875
Machine Bridge, Glyntaff - on the People's Collection Wales site
Transcript of name listing for Pontypridd, and district, from Commercial and Trade Directories, for the years:-
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Glyntaff in Llantwit Fardre, Eglwysilan & Llanwonno to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Glyntaff in Llantwit Fardre, Eglwysilan & Llanwonno has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Dr William Price's surgery, Glyntaff - on the People's Collection Wales site (use search box)
Tram outside depot at Glyntaff with group of workers c 1920 - on People's Collection Wales site (use search box)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST087892 (Lat/Lon: 51.594222, -3.319423), Glyntaff in Llantwit Fardre, Eglwysilan & Llanwonno which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)