Boverton in the Parish of Llantwit Major
"BOVERTON, a hamlet in Lantwit-Major parish, Glamorgan; on the Julian way, 4½ miles S of Cowbridge ... It disputes with other places the claim of being the Roman Bovium; and it has traces of a baronial fortalice which belonged first to the lords of Cardiff, then to the family of Seys." [From John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) on Vision of Britain]
"At Boverton, one mile east, are the ruins of a fortified mansion called “Boverton Place,' formerly the seat of the Seys family, to whom there are monuments in the church. There is a Congregational chapel here, seating 120 persons." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
References to the hamlet of Boverton at
- The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
The transcription of the section for Boverton from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Boverton in the Parish of Llantwit Major to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Boverton in the Parish of Llantwit Major has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Trebeferad - A land settlement in the Vale of Glamorgan
Research of the Welsh Land Settlement Society's site at Trebeferad (Boverton) can be found within a Local History Diploma Thesis (1993), the work of Paul Stephens, Llantwit Major.
The Land Settlement Society was formed in 1936, with the purpose of providing employment on the land for unemployed men of depressed areas. Trebeferad was established as a co-operative farm employing 60-70 men, and providing good quality modern housing for them and their families.
The thesis contains a brief history of the site and its ownership (from the time of the Norman invasion), an ouline of the Act and the rational behind the establishment of the farm, cropping and financial data, conditions of employment, etc.
Paul can provide information on both the wages, and period of service, if a name is provided.
[Humanities Library, University College Cardiff, Column Road, Cardiff]
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Welsh Land Settlement Society Ltd collection "The Welsh Land Settlement Society Limited was established in 1936, with the aim of providing employment for men from high unemployment areas. It was an agency of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food. The Society set up 'Welsh Land Settlements', throughout the Principality, purchasing land for the purpose. These labour-intensive farms were situated in the Vale of Glamorgan, at Boverton Castle Farm, Trebeferad (Boverton) and Fferm Goch, near Llangan; Llanfair Discoed, Caerwent, Monmouthshire; Leechpool Smallholdings Settlement near Portskewett, Monmouthshire; Rosemarket Holdings, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Vaynor Farm, Narbeth, Pembrokeshire, and Sealand, Flintshire. After the Second World War, the farms proved unable to meet early market requirements, and the company's land and other interests were transferred to the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries"
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS983684 (Lat/Lon: 51.405478, -3.463507), Boverton in the Parish of Llantwit Major which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Cardiff photographer, D Grant took this view of the forge at Boverton where farm implements were made and repaired including traction engines. The brook in the foreground was used to cool iron wheel rims..- on the People's Collection Wales site