The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LLANTWIT MAJOR, (or Llan-illtyd-fawr), a parish and decayed borough in the hundred of Cowbridge, county Glamorgan, 4 miles S.W. of Cowbridge, its post town, and 8 from Bridgend. The town, which is of ancient date, is situated near the Bristol Channel, and was once a borough. The parish contains the villages of Boverton, occupying the site of the Roman Bovium, on the Via Julia, Sigginston, Frampton, Ham, Llech-Mawr, and Pwll-Elech. It was formerly known as Caer Wrgon of the Britons. At Hill Head are the remains of a celebrated college founded in 448 by St. Germanus, under Illtyd, the inventor of the Welsh plough. It was made a cell to Tewkesbury Abbey by Robert Fitzhamon in 1111, and at the Dissolution its revenues were given by Henry VIII. to the see of Gloucester. Among the numerous scholars of the above college were, Gildas the historian, Taliesin the chief of bards, Paulinus, St. David, &c. Its 7 halls and 400 houses are said to have been inhabited by 2,000 scholars. The townhall, built by Gilbert de Clare, yet remains; it is approached by a flight of steps, and has a bell gable with an inscription. There is also a castellated house of great antiquity, called the Castle. The living is a vicarage united with the rectory of Llyswarney, in the diocese of Llandaff, value £347, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church, dedicated to St. Illtyd, is one of the most ancient in Wales. It was built by the Nevilles prior to the reign of Henry VI., and is 98 feet in length. The interior of the church contains a rood screen, several ancient monuments, also an effigy of John Hopkins, whose height reached 7 feet 6 inches. Adjoining is the old church, which is apparently the more modern of the two, being of the 15th century. It contains several ancient monuments and mural paintings. At the W. end of the church are the remains of the Lady Chapel, 40 feet in length. In the churchyard are a stone pyramid of 9 feet, also the stump of St. Illtyd's Cross, 64 feet in height. The charities produce about £4 per annum. The Independents, Baptists, and Calvinist Methodists have each a place of worship. Roman coins have been found. A fair is held on the 22nd June for lambs.
"BOVERTON, a hamlet in the parish of Llantwit-Major, hundred of Cowbridge, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 4 miles to the S. of Cowbridge. The Roman way, called the Via Julia; passed by this place, which is believed to have been the station Bovium. In the neighbourhood are two ancient encampments, and the ruins of a castle which was granted by Henry VII. to the Duke of Bedford. Roman relics have been discovered here."
"FRAMPTON, a hamlet in the parish of Llantwit Major, county Glamorgan, 4 miles S. of Cowbridge."
"LLECH-MAWR, a hamlet in the parish of Llantwit-Major, county Glamorgan, 4 miles S.W. of Cowbridge."
"NEWBRIDGE, a village in the parishes of Llantwit Major and Llanwonno, county Glamorgan, 5 miles N. of Llantrisaint. It is situated on the river Taff, and near the Taff Vale railway."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018