Newspaper extracts for Loughor


There are many references to this area in the 15 million Welsh and English language articles from Welsh newspapers transcribed by the NLW and viewable on Welsh Newspapers Online
Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people

Searches made on place names in this order; Loughor & Gowerton

  • From the Weekly Mail 29th March 1884

LOUGHOR. FATAL ACCIDENT.—A fatal accident happened at the Cefngolen Colliery, Gower Road, On Monday morning, when Wm. Williams, of Waunarlwydd, met his death in consequence of the timber giving way and a fall of earth suddenly coming upon him. His death was instantaneous. He leaves a widow and five young children unprovided for.

  • From The Cambrian 20th July 1900

LOUGHOR. BRITISH AND FOREIGN BIBLE SOCIETY. The annual meeting of the Loughor branch of the British and Foreign Bible Society was held in the National Schoolroom, Loughor on Tuesday evening. The chair was taken by the Rector, the Rev. D. T. Jones. The proceedings commenced by singing the old Welsh hymn, "O agor fy llygaid," and prayer by the Rector. Then Dr. T. M. Jones, Kilby House, Loughor, the treasurer of the branch, read the report for last year,    .....(part extract).......

  • From the Cambrian 16th August 1901

LOUGHOR. LOUGHOR REGATTA AND AQUATIC SPORTS. These annual sports took place at Loughor on Saturday, and attracted an immense crowd. The judges were Messrs Arthur Bowen and Thomas Rowlands; the clerk of the course, Mr. David Davies; starter, Mr. William Hallam,  Llanelly; and secretary, Mr. T. Arnold, Sanctuary. Results:     .....(part extract).......

  • From the Herald of Wales and Monmouthshire Recorder 30th May 1914

LOUGHOR. At the meeting of the Swansea county magistrates on Saturday, Mr. Edward Harris made an application on behalf of Mr. Wm. Saunders licensee and freeholder, to rebuild the Globe Inn. Upper Loughor. The Bench granted the application on the understanding that the club house, which will form part of the new premises, was not to be used for drinking purposes. Exception would be made when the clubs met on the occasion of public dinners.

  • From the Herald of Wales and Monmouthshire Recorder 3rd July 1915

LOUGHOR. The Glamorgan County Council have flag- men on the Loughor Bridge who have electrically connected stop watches. The idea is to carefully check the speed of all vehicles with a view to proceedings being taken against offenders.

  •  From The Cardiff Times 15th June 1878

LOUGHOR. EMPTY PLACES—It is reported that about 50 houses are at present unoccupied at this place. As the extensive coal-beds around it, however, are scarcely touched, it is hoped that in some future day the empty places will be filled.

  •  From The Cardiff Times 7th January 1882

LOUGHOR. FATAL ACCIDENT.—On Tuesday evening, at the Broad Oak Colliery the winding chain on the underground incline gave way, and the trams ran down with a terrific speed, and caught a lad, 15 years of age, named Arthur Gough, who was killed on the spot.

  • From The Cardiff Times 1st May 1886

LOUGHOR. NEW TIN WORKS.—It is announced that a company called the Fairwood Tin-plate Company are about to build a new tin works near the Gower Road Great Western Railway Station, in this parish.

  • From The Carmarthen Journal and South Wales Weekly Advertiser 4th April 1890

LOUGHOR. GRAND EVENING CONCERT. The Loughor Excelsior Brass Band held a grand concert on Saturday evening last, at the National School. Mr T. Kilby Jones, surgeon, took the chair, and right ably performed the duties becoming a good chairman. There had been such a great sale of tickets that the schoolroom was crowded by the purchasers. Mr Evans (Eos Rhidian), Mr J. John (Eos Llwchwr), and Miss Perrott respectively, accompanied by Miss C. Barrett, sang in splendid style. The proceeds of the concert will be used in the purchase of new instruments for the band.

TRADE.—At one time Loughor was busily engaged in several varieties of trades. Coal mining gave employment to numerous colliers. The copper-work, glass-work, and zinc-work were in full swing. Small vessels sailed up the river Llwchwr laden with copper ore, and returned again with a cargo of coal. But of late years, all except the copper works, now a tinplate works, giving much employment, have become sluggishly inactive or extinct. Suspension of work, however, now promises to disappear for a welcome rumour is current in Loughor that a new and strong company will undertake the extensive workings of the Broadoak colliery, and that another company will work the glass-works. If such a rumour turns out to be a true one,  Loughor shall be able to rank with her now much busier neighbours, Gowerton and Gorseinon.

  •  From the Weekly Mail 25th June 1887

Gowerton. The demonstrations in honour of the Queen's Jubilee were inaugurated here on Monday. At one o'clock the members of the various Sunday Schools in the village met at the Board School, where a procession was formed, and, headed by the Loughor brass band, left the Board School for the Mount Grounds, where Mrs. J. R. Wright presented the scholars as they marched in front of the house with Jubilee medals. Thence the procession proceeded through the Fernhill and the  Gurnos Gardens to the Penclawdd-road, then past Ty Gwyn House through Church-street, and along Station-road to the London and North Western Railway Station.     .....(part extract).......

  •  From The Cambrian 11th April 1902

GOWERTON BISHOP OF ST. DAVID'S CONSECRATES A NEW CEMETERY. The consecration of the Church of England's portion, about two acres of the western section of the public cemetery at King's Bridge, Loughor, laid out by the Gowerton Parish Council, took place on Saturday. There was a good attendance of public, and the following clergy were noticed ;  .....(part extract).......

  •  From  The South Wales Daily Post 8th October 1910

GOWERTON. Experiments go to show that there still remains plenty of talent in Gowerton. The recruits did well on Saturday. Willie Thomas and lrvonwy Williams are quite good enough whilst Edgar Thomas did well. There was, however, a misunderstanding amongst the players. The forwards gave a good account of themselves both in the scrums and in the open. They heeled out in excellent fashion. The halves were not as accurate in handling as one would wish   .....(part extract).......

  • From The South Wales Daily Post 4th June 1910

GOWERTON. The. Gowerton Firsts experienced their initial defeat at the hands of Hendy on Saturday last. This was the first time for Hendy to win against Gowerton, and they naturally feel proud. Wickets fell fairly consistently, and five were down for thirty. Sixty-nine was one of the highest scores yet recorded by Hendy against the Gowertonians.    .....(part extract).......

  • From The Cambria Daily Leader 21st May 1917

GOWERTON. The annual meeting of the Gowerton and District Nursing Association was held at the Unionist Club, Mr. John Bevan presiding. Mr. W. Anthony submitted the balance-sheet, which showed that      .....(part extract).......

  • From the  Herald of Wales and Monmouthshire Recorder 19th October 1918

GOWERTON. On Saturday next the people of Gowerton and district will witness for the first time at Gowerton a ladies' football match, the proceeds of which will be devoted to the Gowerton Central Relief Committee, a committee which has been doing excellent work in connection with cases of distress arising through the war.

  •  From the Evening Express (First Edition) 11th February 1905

GOWERTON DISASTER' Startling Evidence by the Manager. MATCHES FOUND ON THE CORPSES. The adjourned coroner's inquiry into the Elba Colliery disaster by which ten men lost their lives, took place at the Rechabite's-hall, Gowerton on Friday before Mr. Glynn Price and a jury.    .....(part extract).......

MANAGER'S EVIDENCE. Herbert Griffiths, manager of the colliery, then gave evidence. The night previous to the accident, he said, was pay night, and the night shift succeeded the day shift within a very short interval. The accident happened, as far as he knew, about 12.45. Locked safety lamps were used at the colliery. The lamps were all the property of the company and were kept in a lamp room. They were given out unlocked to the colliers before they went to work. The lamps were locked at the lamp station by the fireman in charge of the shift. When were you last in No. 6 and 7 levels?— On Friday, the day before the accident. I left No. 6 level about noon and No. 7 about half an hour previously. How did you find No. 7?—I found it in good working order. Any gas present then?-No, sir.     .....(part extract).......

EXPLOSION BY FIRE-DAMP. Who was in charge of that operation ?— The fireman; the night fireman. Continuing his evidence, the witness said that he went down the workings after the explosion about three o'clock in the morning. He went straight to No 7 level. At that time all the injured had been brought up, and two of the dead bodies. He found that the main slant had not been affected at all by the explosion. Just outside No. 3 top-hole there was a tram off the road. The next thing he noticed was a small fall of coal and ashes, which had come from the very mouth of the top-hole. He stopped here to examine it, and men were engaged in clearing this fall, as they knew that the boy, William Bowen, was under the fall. They found him later on. Witness then went on to the face of the level. Everything here was in order except that the doors were blown down, as well as the air-pipes. He found that the air was passing freely along No. 3 and 4 levels, there being no trace of after-damp or unconsumed gas. At No. 6 level he saw nothing wrong. He believed that the coal dust at No. 7 helped the explosion, while the coal dust near the wet portion checked it. He thought the explosion was caused by fire-damp and dust.    .....(part extract).......

STARTLING FINDS. Did you find any remains of the two lamps? —No, none at all. Do you take any precautions against contraventions of the rule;?—I have tested the lamps, and always found them locked. What about taking matches down?—I have never searched for any. Have you ever seen any matches underground?—No, never. After the explosion what did you find?—I found a. pipe (produced) in a coat hanging up on the lower side of the level between No. 5 and No. 6. Any matches found?—Yes, outside No. 4, on the lower side, I found a waistcoat with six matches loose in one of the pockets. Do you know whose waistcoat it was?—No. Do you know who owned the pipe?—Yes. It belonged to William Davies, one of the deceased men. Did you find any more ?-I found four more matches and an empty cigarette-box in another waistcoat.    .....(part extract).......

TWO MISSING LAMPS.   .....(part extract).......  The manager admitted that the matches found were unignited, and, therefore, could not have caused the explosion The other things were found on searching the clothes at the office four or five days after the explosion. Mr. Benson: The implements found could only be used for opening lamps Witness: One could be used for crochet work. (Laughter.) But none of these lamps were, in point of fact, opened by these implements?—One lamp might have been wrenched open. I suppose the two- missing lamps are under the big fall which has not yet been cleared away?—Yes. They are lamps No. 96 and No. 9,     .....(part extract).......

THE FIREMEN'S EVIDENCE. The next witness was William Henry Jones, of Penclawdd, the day fireman at the colliery, who said he had worked under Messrs. Baldwin for the last fourteen years. He examined the workings on the morning previous to the explosion and found everything in perfect order. He inspected Nos. 6 and 7 levels the last thing before leaving in the afternoon. The Foreman: Do you mean to say that you have had no trouble with the men about matches in the mine?—None at all. I have had no reason to be suspicious. The Coroner: On this occasion the night shift practically went down as the day shift came up?—It was the duty of the night fireman to make the inspection. The Coroner: But he had no time to do it? —It does not fall to my part to make an inspection for the night shift. John Davies, the night fireman, was then called. He said that the night shift went down about five o'clock and he went down with them, not making an inspection before they went. He examined the lamps on the surface. He began his inspection at No. 6 level, and found everything all right. Then he proceeded to No. 7, where he found gas at No. 5 top-hole. The top-hole was filled with gas down to within 4ft. of the level. There was no gas anywhere else. While he was making this inspection the men were all at No. 6 lamp station. He then directed the men to work, but sent only two to No. 7 heading. He superintended operations for improving the ventilation, which took well up to midnight. He then went to the east side of the pit and was coming out when the explosion took place. He would be about 100 yards away. He heard no report, but felt a heavy rush of air. He proceeded to the west side at once, taking the men out of the slant with him. After going 50 yards he called out, but got no reply. Going further, he called a second time,    .....(part extract).......

THE INQUEST ADJOURNED. No further evidence was taken, and the Coroner consulted Dr. Davies, who said that the two injured men would not be able to give evidence for at least a month. In the end the inquiry was adjourned until that day six weeks.