Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Chapels - Margam

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Chapels - Margam

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Margam database compiled by Gareth Hicks

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Wales - Genealogy Help Pages )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

Additional source;

Baptist

Jerusalem Welsh Baptist, Bryn

  • Jerusalem Welsh Baptist - in Post Office Directory for 1871 (8)
  • Jerusalem Welsh Baptist, Bryn 1895 (9)
  • Baptist Welsh Baptist, Bryn 1910 (10)

Jerusalem English Baptist, Bryn

  • Jerusalem English Baptist, Bryn SS81519234 Built in 1852, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1885, not in 2003 (11)

Ebenezer Welsh Baptist, Civic Square, Port Talbot

  • Still open in 2006 (google)
  • See under Calfaria below

Is this the same chapel as Ebenezer, Aberavon ??

Calfaria Baptist chapel, Tan-y-groes St, Port Talbot

  • Calfaria chapel, Tan-y-groes St, Port Talbot SS77098971 Denomination not given (11)
  • Calfaria Baptist Church, Port Talbot: annual reports, 1910-1952; contribution books, 1914-1958; accounts, 1928-1953; orders of service, 1933-1958; Sunday School registers, 1931-1954; correspondence of the Caradog ap Iestyn Lodge of True Ivorites, 1913-1916
    Held at West Glamorgan Archive Service
  • Founded in 1911 by a breakaway group from Ebenezer - The first minister was The Reverend Taliesin Williams.
    Calfaria was closed in 1982 - the site is now occupied by three terraced houses - (Calfaria Close) [10/2016 - Contributed by Melville Morris]

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Calfaria Welsh Baptist Church, Port Talbot, records "Calfaria was formed in 1910 as a branch of Ebenezer Welsh Baptist Church, following a division in the membership. The chapel was built on Tanygroes Street, Port Talbot, Glamorgan and closed in 1980."
    "Calfaria Welsh Baptist Church, Port Talbot, records, 1910-1973, including membership lists, 1910-1964; deeds, 1911-1950; insurance records, 1940-1952; correspondence, 1940-1951; Sunday School class registers, 1931-1954; annual reports and accounts, 1910-1953; minute books, 1920-1973; letter books, 1914-1951; weekly contributions books, 1914-1958; draft account books for weekly offerings, 1942-1953; miscellaneous accounts, 1928-1973; orders of service, 1933-1958; correspondence of the Caradog ap Iestyn Lodge of True Ivorites, 1913-1916

Christchurch Baptist, Port Talbot SS 74659106 ??

  • The OS ref shows it to be in the Sandfields, Aberavon area but no entry on Coflein, or anywhere else that I've found

Smyrna Welsh Baptist Chapel, Taibach

  • Baptist Denominatio n - A list of some original members of Smyrna Chapel from A History of Taibach to 1972, by Rev. Richard Morgan (5)
  • Smyrna Welsh Baptist Rev John Jones - in Post Office Directory for 1871 (8)
  • Smyrna Welsh Baptist, Pt Talbot Rev David Dyfan Davies 1895 (9)
  • Smyrna Welsh Baptist Rev W Herber Jones 1910 (10)
  • Smyrna Welsh Baptist chapel, Smyrna Cotts, Tai-bach SS77558886 Built in either 1860 or 1867 (11)

Congregational

Carmel Congregational Welsh chapel, Bryn

  • Bryn Congregational chapel, Port Talbot Opened in 1847, closed pre 1992 (1)
  • Carmel Welsh Congregational, Bryn Rev David Prosser 1895 (9)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh)- with translation by Maureen Saycell (May 2009)
  • Carmel Welsh Independent chapel Rev Richard Williams - in Post Office Directory for 1871 (8)
  • There is a book by David Jones, Andrew Allen: Hanes canrif gyntaf eglwys Carmel, Bryn: canmlwyddiant 1860-1960, (Maesteg, 1960), [12]tt. (3)

Welsh Congregational, Penycae

  • Welsh Congregational, Penycae 1910 (10)

New Tabernacle Welsh Independent chapel, Port Talbot

  • New Tabernacle Welsh Independent chapel, Port Talbot Opened in 1824, still open in 1992 (1)
  • There is a book ; Tabernacl Newydd, Port Talbot: gwyl ddathlu iwbili dyled yr eglwys, Ionawr 7fed a'r 11eg, 1945, (Port Talbot, 1945), 4tt. (3)
  • Tabernacle (Newydd) Welsh Congregational, Forge Rd, Port Talbot Seats 650 Rev James Evans 1910 (10)
  • Tabernacl Newydd Independent chapel, Forge Rd, Port Talbot SS76779012 (11)

Grange St Independent, Port Talbot

  • Grange St Independent, Port Talbot SS77148954 (11)

Gibeon Congregational, Alma Terrace, Tai-bach

  • There is a book; Gibeon, Taibach, 1852-1952: cyfarfodydd dathlu canmlwyddiant, Mai 24ain hyd Mehefin 1af. Trefn y cyfarfodydd a braslun o hanes yr achos, (Port Talbot, 1952), 20tt. (3)
  • Independent Church (1825-1835) - A list of some original members of Gibeon Chapel from A History of Taibach to 1972, by Rev. Richard Morgan (5)
  • Gibeon Welsh Independent chapel Rev - Stephens Post Office Directory for 1871 (8)
  • Gibeon Welsh Congregational, Pt Talbot Rev Thomas Hywell Thomas 1895 (9)
  • Gibeon Welsh Congregational, Pt Talbot Rev Thomas Hywell Thomas 1910 (10)
  • Gibeon Welsh Independent chapel, Alma Terrace, Tai-bach SS77578892 Built in 1854, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1860 and in 1910, still in use in 2002 (11)
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh)c- with translation by Maureen Saycell (May 2009)

Noddfa Welsh Independent, Commercial Rd, Tai-bach

  • There is a book by J. Caerau Rees: Jiwbili "Noddfa", Port Talbot, 1939-1943, (Port Talbot, 1943), [16]tt (3)
  • Noddfa Welsh Independent chapel, Commercial Rd, Tai-Bach SS77398895 (11)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Noddfa Independent Chapel, Taibach, Port Talbot, records "Noddfa Independent Chapel, Port Talbot, Glamorgan, grew out of a cause which began in 1933, initially meeting at a house in Park View, Port Talbot. When the congregation grew in number, meetings were held at the public library and later at the Memorial Hall. Noddfa Chapel was built in 1939."
    "........ comprising a Band of Hope pledge book, 1945; photocopies, [late 20th century], of programmes (1939, 1943) and an annual report and related papers (1949); photograph of the officers of the chapel, [1940s]."

Welsh Congregational, Tydraw

  • Welsh Congregational, Tydraw 1895 (9)

Methodist

Bryn Welsh CM

  • Bryn Welsh CM 1895 (9)
  • Soar CM, Penybryn Erected in 1849 Edwin Thomas, Steward (Rees Griffiths, Penybryn crossed out), Penybryndu, Nr Pyle 1851 (12) [right place?]

Bryngurnos Primitive Methodist chapel

Beulah Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Groes

  • 1838 December 21; Welsh Calvanistic; a newly erected chapel called Beulah being the property of Christopher Rice Mansel TALBOT, esquire; David EVANS, blacksmith (2)
  • Groes Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel - in Post Office Directory for 1871 (8)
  • Groes Welsh CM 1895 (9)
  • Beulah CM chapel, Groes Built in 1838, seats 200 1910 (10)
  • Beulah Welsh CM, Groes, Margam Erected in 1838 Howell Griffith, Diacon, Margam, Taibach 1851 (12)
  • Beulah Margam English CM chapel Tollgate Park, Margam, Aberafan, Castell Nedd ac Aberafan SA13 2DD - still open in 2006 [right place?]

Bethel Welsh Calvinistic Methodist, Water St, Margam

  • Welsh Calvinistic Methodist, Water St 1895 (9)
  • Calvinistic chapel, Water St, Margam 1910 (10)
  • Bethel Welsh CM, Heol-Tre-Dwr, Water St, Margam SS807831 Built in 1852, still in use in 1997 (11)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Eglwys Bethel, Heol Tre-Dwr, cofysgrifau (records)
    "Pentre bychan rhwng Margam a'r Pil yw Heol Tre-Dwr neu Water Street. Cyn i'r capel gael ei godi, byddai'r aelodau wedi mynychu Capel y Pil, ond erbyn canol y bedwaredd ganrif ar bymtheg, penderfynwyd sefydlu achos lleol yn y pentref. Cynhaliwyd Ysgol Sul i gychwyn yng nghartref un William Hugh ar ddechrau pum degau'r ganrif honno, ac yn fuan wedyn cafwyd yr hawl gan Eglwys y Pil i godi capel yn y pentref. Caewyd y Capel ym 1994 o ganlyniad i fandaliaeth cynyddol a thân i'r adeilad"
    "The records are relating to Bethel Calvinistic Church. The Calvinistic Methodists were formed in 1811, now known as the Presbyterian Church of Wales; ....................... . Bethel Calvinistic Methodist Church, Water Street, Taibach, Port Talbot was founded in 1852
    "Cofysgrifau yn ymwneud â gweinyddu Capel Bethel, Heol Tre Dwr a'r Ysgol Sul, [c. 1851]-1999.
    Records relating to the administration of Bethel Chapel, Heol Tre Dwr and the Sunday School, [c. 1851]-1999"

Saron Calvinistic Methodists, Pen-y-cae

  • Saron Welsh CM chapel, Penycae Rev Thomas Powell 1910 (10)
  • Saron Welsh CM, Pen-y-cae SS77279036 Built in 1867 (11)
  • Saron Penycae English CM chapel Heol Penycae, , Port Talbot, Castell Nedd ac Aberafan SA13 2EP - still open in 2006

Bethany CM ( English), Station Rd, Port Talbot

  • Bethany CM ( English), Port Talbot Rev John Rhys Davies 1895 (9)
  • Bethany English CM chapel, Pt Talbot - erected in 1879, seats 700 Rev E R Harries 1910 (10)
  • Index entry for Bethany chapel, Port Talbot in Images of Neath & Port Talbot by David Roberts (6)
  • Bethany English CM, Station Rd, Port Talbot SS76629007 Built in 1880 (11)
  • Bethany Port Talbot English CM chapel - still open in 2006

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Bethany Presbyterian Chapel, Port Talbot, records, [1880s]-1979, including list of births, 1934-1950; photographs, [1880s]- 1974 x 1977"
    "Arranged into the following: List of births; Chapel history; Order of service; Photographs of ministers of Bethany Chapel; Photographs of groups of church members; Photograph of Nazareth, Talybont, Sunday School; Decorative commemorative list of members of Bethany Presbyterian Chapel, Port Talbot who served in the Armed Forces during the First World War."

Fitzclarence Port Talbot CM

  • Fitzclarence Port Talbot English CM chapel Western Avenue, Sandfields Estate, Port Talbot, Gorllewin Morgannwg SA12 7NF - still open in 2006 as per The Presbyterian Church of Wales site

Margam Rd CM chapel, Port Talbot

  • Margam Rd CM chapel, Port Talbot SS77708845 Still used in 1984 (11)

English CM, Wharf, Port Talbot

  • English CM, Wharf, Port Talbot 1895 (9)

Grove Place Welsh CM, Port Talbot

  • Grove Place Welsh CM, Port Talbot Rev James Rees 1910 (10)
  • Grove Place Welsh CM, Grove Place, Port Talbot SS76848975 Built in 1904 (11)
  • Grove Place Port Talbot Welsh CM chapel Grove Place, Port Talbot, Castell Nedd ac Aberafan SA13 1EZ - still open in 2006

Wesleyan English Methodist, Tydraw St, Port Talbot

  • Index entry for 'Wesley Methodist Congregation in 1930's' in Images of Neath & Port Talbot by David Roberts (6)
  • Wesleyan English, Port Talbot 1895 (9)
  • Wesleyan English, Port Talbot - erected in 1893, seats 600 1910 (10)
  • Wesleyan English, Tydraw Street (Neath Circuit) Rev J Wesley Davies supt, Arthur R Braithwaite, lay minister 1910 (10)
  • Wesley Hall English Wesleyan Methodist chapel (Trinity), Ty Draw St, Port Talbot SS76738939 Built in 1892 (11)

Dyffryn Welsh Calvinistic Methodists, Taibach

  • Dyffryn Chapel, (Old Dyffryn) There is a list of original Members,1765-1780, in A History of Taibach to 1972, by Rev. Richard Morgan - plus a list of deacons and preachers at Inaugural Meetings of first Chapel,1841 (5)
  • Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Taibach - in Slaters Directory for 1858-1859 (7)
  • Duffryn Welsh CM chapel - in Post Office Directory for 1871 (8)
  • Dyffryn Welsh CM, Pt Talbot 1895 (9)
  • Dyffryn Welsh CM, Pt Talbot - erected in 1841, rebuilt in 1893, seats 1000 Rev David John 1910 (10)
  • Dyffryn Welsh CM, Tai-bach SS77238897 Built in 1841, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1892 (11)
  • Dyffryn CM, Taibach Erected in 1842 Edward Daniel, Senr Secretary, Taibach 1851 (12)

Dyffryn Ajalon CM chapel, Taibach

Dyffryn Ajalon Protestant Chapel

  • 1845 July 4 Protestant; Dyffryn Ajalon Chapel; Benjamin EVANS of St Fagans, Minster of the Gospel (2)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Dyffryn Ajalon Chapel, Taibach, records "........ marriage register, 1972-1989; manuscript book of sermons, 1932-1935."

Wesleyan English Methodist, Incline Row, Taibach

  • Extract from Taibach Wesleyan Methodist Chapel baptism register 1886-7 - on the People's Collection Wales site (dead link (9/12)
  • There is a book by Phillips, Cled. Taibach Wesley Church 1893-1993 : the story of a people's faith, toil, vision. Taibach : Taibach Wesley Church, 1993. 164p (4)
  • English Wesleyan, Incline Row, Tai-bach SS77638882 Built in 1840, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1892 (11)

Saron Welsh CM, Tydraw

  • Saron Welsh CM, Tydraw Rev Thomas Powell 1895 (9)
  • Saron Welsh CM chapel, Tydraw - erected in 1867, seats 350 1910 (10)

Velinvach y Varteg, Calvinistic Methodist

  • 1844 July 12 Protestant (endorsed; Calvanistic Methodist) a building called Velinvach y Varteg; Richard THOMAS of Pencoed in the parish of Coychurch, Minster of the Gospel (2)
  • Velinfach CM, Margam Erected in 1836 Evan Williams, Deacon, Tyn y ffarm, Margam 1851 (12)

Other

Protestant chapel, Margam

  • 1824 January 20: Protestant; a certain messuage in the occupation of Edward JENKIN of the parish of Margam, yeoman, being the property of Christopher Rice Mansel TALBOT, esquire; the said Edward JENKIN, Thomas WILLIAM (2)
  • 1824 January 20 Protestant; a certain messuage in the occupation of Edward JENKIN of the parish of Margam carpenter, being the property of Christopher Rice Mansel TALBOT, esquire; the said William JENKIN, Thomas WILLIAM (2)

Chapel, Bridge St, Port Talbot

  • Chapel, Bridge St, Port Talbot SS77228981 Denomination not given (11)

Eglwys Crist, Bae Baglan, Port Talbot

  • Eglwys Crist, Bae Baglan, Port Talbot SS7592 Denomination not given (11)

Elim chapel, Port Talbot

  • Elim chapel, Port Talbot SS7790 Denomination not given (11)
  • "Elim Chapel, Dalton Road, Sandfields is a Church belonging to the Elim Pentecostal Movement. The present Pastor is the Rev TG Hills; there are about 60 members and attenders." (Denise Jones June 2008)

Hall chapel, Port Talbot

  • Hall chapel, Port Talbot SS76948951 Denomination not given (11)

Riverside chapel, Port Talbot

  • Riverside chapel, Port Talbot SS7690 Denomination not given (11)

Margam Evangelical Church, Port Talbot

  • There is a book/article; 'The story of Margam Evangelical Church, Port Talbot' . Evangelical Magazine of Wales 31/5 (1992), p. 18-19 (4)

Trinity chapel, Port Talbot

  • Trinity chapel, Port Talbot SS7788 Denomination not given (11)

[Last Updated : 7 May 2009 - Gareth Hicks]