MARGAM with TAIBACH
From Post Office Directory, 1871.
Transcribed by Phil Mustoe
MARGAM is an extensive parish, in Neath union and county court district, hundred of Neath, eastern division of the rural deanery of Upper-Gro-Neath, archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaff, and county of Glamorgan, on the high road between Neathand Bridgend, being 9 miles south from the former, and 9 north from the latter, 4 miles south from Aberavon, 3.5 miles south from Port Talbot station, on the South Wales and Great Western Railway, and 205 miles by rail from London: it is delightfully situated under a perpendicular wood at the base of the Mynydd Margam. Previous to the thirteenth century, this parish was called Pen-dar, or the Oak Summit. Here are remains of a Cistercian abbey, founded by Robert, Earl of Gloucester, A.D.,1147. About a mile from the Abbey was a convent of nuns, called Eglwys Nunydd, or the Nuns' Church; at the dissolution of the abbey it was sold to Sir Rice Mansel, knt., for #642 9s. 8d., and he came to reside there: it afterwards came into the possession of the Talbots, heirs to the Mansels; it is now occupied as a farmhouse. The church of St. Mary is a plain building in the Norman style, consisting of nave, chancel, and aisles; there are many handsome monuments to the Mansel family, and the Talbots, especially that of the late Mrs. Talbot. Some years ago, while the church was undergoing repairs through the munificence of Christopher Rice Mansel Talbot, Esq., M.P., many traces were found which would convey the idea that at one time Margam was aplace of some importance. The register dates from the middle of the sixteenth century. The living is a vicarage, yearly value about #300, in the gift of C. R. M. Talbot, esq., M.P., L.L., J.P., and held by the Rev. David Thomas,M.A., of Trinity College, Oxford; servide in Welsh and English, alternately. There are schools supported by C. R. M. Talbot, esq., M.P., and places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Calvinistic Methodists. In the parish is an ancient stone cross, about eight feet high, bearing rude and imperfect characters. Margam Park, the seat of Christopher Rice Mansel Talbot, Esq., M.P., L.L., J.P., is a handsome structure, which was built a few years since in the Elizabethan style, and resembling the monastic edifices of the Middle Ages; the park is five miles in circumference, and has long been celebrated for its pleasure grounds; the principal feature is the Orangery, which originated from a shipwreck near here. The vessel was conveying from Portugal to Queen Mary a present, from a Dutch merchant, of orange and lemon trees, and being stranded the plants became as a waif, or by purchase, the property of Lord Talbot, in the conservatory are some admirable specimens of ancient statuary, also a curious collection of cork models of Italian buildings. From here may be obtained a view of the beautiful Bay of Swansea, and the character of the scenery generally, from its rich woodlands, its mountains, and varied and lengthy scope, is picturesque in the extreme. Christopher Rice Mansel Talbot, Esq., M.P., L.L., J.P., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The area is 18,725 acres, including water; gross estimated rental, #24,685; rateable value, #22,189; and the population in 1861 was 5,528.
TAIBACH is situated about half a mile from Port Talbot railway station and 1 mile from Aberavon. Here are the extensive copper works of Messrs. Vivian and Sons, known as the Margam copper works; the well known tin plate works of Messrs. Byassand Co. are also in this parish although adjoining Aberavon. There is a chapel of ease to St. Mary's (the parish church); curate in charge of the Rev. John Edward Jones; the services are performed in English and Welsh, morning and evening. There is a small market house for the disposal of agricultural and other produce, which is well attended on Saturdays.
OFFICAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS, &c.
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE
Post Office Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance & Telegraph Office, Taibach.
Post Master - Lewis Thomas.
|Briton Ferry, Carmarthenshire, Cardiganshire, Pembrokeshire & forward ||9.00 p.m. |
|Bridgend, Cardiff, Newport (Mon.), Bristol & Gloucester ||7.30 a.m. |
|Briton Ferry, Neath, Swansea, Llanelly & Carmarthen ||9.30 a.m. |
|Bridgend, Cardiff, London & foreign ||11.20 a.m. |
|Swansea ||2.45 p.m. |
|Bridgend, Cardiff, Newport (Mon.), Gloucester, & the North ||4.00 p.m. |
|Bridgend, Cardiff, Newport (Mon.), Bristol, Gloucester, London & foreign ||6.50 p.m. |
Letters can be posted by extra stamp ten minutes later for each mail
| ||By Carrier ||To Callers. |
|England, Ireland, Scotland, & all parts of South Wales ||7.00 a.m. ||7.00 a.m. |
|Neath & Swansea ||10.40 a.m. ||10.40 a.m. |
|Bridgend, cardiff, Newport (Mon.), Gloucester, North & West of England, & North Wales ||10.40 a.m. ||10.40 a.m. |
|Cardiff, Newport (Mon.), Bristol, Gloucester & London ||3.55 a.m. ||3.55 a.m. |
|Briton Ferry, Neath, Swansea & Carmarthen ||5.10 p.m. ||5.10 p.m. |
On sundays there is one delivery only at 7 a.m. The office is open to callers from 7 a.m. till 10 a.m.
Pillar Letter Box, Margam, cleared at 5.50 p.m. week days; 12.15 p.m. sundays. Letters by messenger from Taibach.
Insurance Agents :-
Lancashire Fire & Life, John Williams, Taibach Places of Worship :-
London & Lancashire, B. Heycock, Taibach
St. Mary's (Parish Church), Margam, Rev. David Thomas M.A., vicar Chapels :-
Chapel of Ease, Taibach, Rev. John Edward Jones, curate in sole charge
Jerusalem (Welsh), ministers various Calvinistic Methodists
Smyrna (Welsh), Rev. John Jones, minister
Duffryn (Welsh), ministers various Independent
Groes (Welsh), ministers various
Gideon (Welsh), Rev. - Stephens Primitive Methodists, Bryngurnos (Welsh), ministers various
Carmel (Welsh), Rev. Richard Williams
British (Messrs. Vivian & Sons) (boys, girls & infants), Taibach, Joseph McOan, master; Miss Phoebe Richards, mistress; Mrs. Mary Henry, infants' mistress
British (C. R. M. Talbot, esq. M.P.), Margam (boys & girls), Thos. F. Howell, master; Mrs. - Howell, mistrs
Public Officers :-
Police Constable, George Roberts
Registrar of Births & Deaths, George Jones, Aberavon
Collector of Rates, John Williams
Felton John, Margam cottage
Thomas Rev. David, M.A.
David Roderick David, grocer & draper, Groes
Davies Catherine (Mrs.), farmer, Tyncllar
Evans Evan, blacksmith
Felton John, agent to C. R. M. Talbot, Esq., M.P.
, Margam cottage
Joseph Thomas, farmer, Brombill
Kent William, farmer
Powell Wm. S., farmer, Egglwysnynyd
Rees John, farmer, Groes wen
Richards David, farmer, Wern
Thomas Richard, farmer, Upper court
Beddoe David, Mill row
Burgess Thomas Holmes, Gallipoli
Cobbledick John Osborne
Conway Joseph, Ffrwdwyllt
Cound John, Cotton row
Grant Walker, Scutari
Grey Thomas, Underhill
Grey William, Underhill
Griffiths William, Glanffrwdwyllt
Jones Rev. John Edward [curate]
Jones Phillip, Mill row
Morgan John, Cotton row
Phillips James M.
Prichard Richard Knight, Craig-avon
Rees Rees, Mill row
Talbot Christopher Rice Mansel, M.P.
, Margam park, & Penrice castle, Swansea
Talbot Theodore, D.L.
, Margam park
Thomas James, Gallipoli
Turner Henry, High street
Vinton John William, Richmond house
Vivian Arthur Pendarves, M.P.
, Glanafon, High street
Williams Thomas, Bridge row
Bowen John, miller
Byass Robert Blake & Co., tin plate manufacturers, Margam tin works
Heycock John, boot & shoe maker, High street
Heycock Philip, butcher, High street
Hibbert Thomas, grocer & draper, High st
Hilditch John, farmer
Jenkins Thomas, furniture dealer, High street
Kent George, butcher, High street
Phillips James M., surgeonPort Talbot Timber & Slate Company
, (J. O. Cobbledick, managing partner)
Rees Thomas, draper, High st
Roderick Rees, stone mason
Thomas J. & R., grocers & drapers, High street
Thomas John, Somersetshire House
, High street
Thomas William, stationer, High street
Vinton John William, grocer & draper, High street
Vivian & Sons, manufacturers of copper & yellow metal (Arthur Pendarves Vivian, M.P.
, resident manager), & at Swansea; London office, Bond Court house, Walbrook e.c.
Williams John, shopkeeper, High street
Williams Thos., Miners' Arms
, High st
Post Office Directory, Margam, Glamorgan, 1871 [Last Updated : 19 Sept 2002 - Gareth Hicks]