"MERTHYR DYFAN, in the Cwmwd of Is Caeth, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Dinas Powys), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Rectory valued in the King's Books at £4..17..3 1/2: Patron, Robert Jenner, Esq.: Church dedicated to St. Dyfan. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 128. The money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £105..4..5 3/4. It is 7 m. S. W. from Caerdiff. This Parish contains about 1100 acres (including some profitable Wood-lands) of inclosed and cultivated Land. The Inhabitants of the Extra-Parochial district of Highlight attend Divine Service at this Church. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, and Rent of Glebe, was £64..16..8." From: Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
"MERTHYR-DOVAN (MERTHYR-DYVAN), a parish in the hundred of DINAS-POWIS, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (S. W.) from Cardiff, containing, with Highlight, 130 inhabitants. This small parish, bordering on the Bristol channel, is in general hilly, and the inhabitants are exclusively employed in agriculture. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £4. 17. 3 1/2., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of R. F. Jenner, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Dovanus, is situated in a valley watered by a small stream which passes near Cadoxton, and falls into the Bristol channel at Barry Island. Highlight is an extra-parochial district, the property of C. K. K. Tynte, Esq., for ecclesiastical purposes attached to this parish, the inhabitants attending divine service here. The late Mr. Richards, of Barry, left £40, and the late Rev. Mr. Powel, £50, directing the interest to be given weekly to the poor in bread. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £84. 1." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)