Merthyr Mawr - Gazetteers
Extract from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.
"MERTHYR-MAWR, a parish in the hundred of OGMORE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 1 1/2 mile (W. S. W.) from Bridgend, containing 147 inhabitants.
It is situated on the right bank of the Ogmore, near its mouth, forming the only portion of the hundred lying on that side of the river, and a little south of the turnpike road between Cardiff and Swansea. A part of the parish to the south is occupied by low barren sand hills, but it probably takes its name from a lofty and extensive elevation composing the greater part of it, and at the eastern foot of which, near the bank of the river, stands its small and pleasant village, with the church.
This manor, together with the castle and lordship of Talavan, was given by Robert Fitz-Hamon, on dividing the ancient kingdom of Glamorgan among the Norman knights and others who assisted him in its subjugation, to Sir Richard Syward. Leland says, " Martyr Maur, a fair Manor Place of Stone, stondith on this West Ripe, a mile above Ogor mouth:" in his time it belonged to the Stradlings. Near the church is an elegant modern mansion, surrounded by a thriving plantation, the seat of the late Sir John Nicholl, Knt., Dean of the Arches, by whom it was erected.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Llandaf. The church is dedicated to St. Teilaw.
The river Ogmore discharges itself into the Bristol channel on the southern side of this parish : on its eastern bank are the remains of Ogmore castle, an account of which is inserted in the article on Ewenny. Slight vestiges of an old chapel, commonly called Cappel St. Roque, are discernible.
The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 94. 3."
Merthyr Mawr - Lewis 1833 [Last Updated : 13 Oct 2002 - Gareth Hicks]