Gellideg in the Parish of Merthyr Tydfil
"GELLIDEG (GELLI-DEG), a hamlet, in the parish and newly-created borough of MERTHYR-TYDVIL, hundred of CAERPHILLY, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (N. E.) from Merthyr-TydviL The population is returned with the parish. It is situated on the right bank of the Tiff Vawr, and is principally inhabited by the workmen employed at Merthyr-Tydvil. The Cardiff canal passes along its eastern boundary, close to, and parallel with, the TAY Vawr river; and there are some well-wooded enclosures scattered over its surface." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833 © Mel Lockie 2016]
The church is dedicated to St. Luke, is in the Benefice of Merthyr Tydfil, Christ Church, and Diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference SO032071.
|Anglican Parish Registers|
|No Registers have been deposited yet|
The transcription of the section for Gellideg from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Gellideg in the Parish of Merthyr Tydfil to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Gellideg in the Parish of Merthyr Tydfil has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Map of the hamlet of Gellideg, c 1830 - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO034072 (Lat/Lon: 51.755131, -3.400896), Gellideg in the Parish of Merthyr Tydfil which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)