Michaelston le Pit
"MICHAELSTON LE PIT, or, LLANFIHANGEL YN Y GWAELOD, in the Cwmwd of Is Caeth, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Dinas Powys), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Rectory valued in the King's Books at £4..10..7 1/2: Patron, Thomas B. Rous, Esq.: Church dedicated to St. Michael. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 68. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was, £35..16..0, at 5s. in the pound. It is 5 m. W.S.W. from Caerdiff. This Parish contains about four hundred acres of cultivated Land, and about two hundred acres in Brakes and Underwood. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, and Augmentation, was £53..11..3." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
"MICHAELSTON LE PIT, a parish in the hundred of DINAS-POWIS, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 4 1/2 miles (S. W. by W.) from Cardiff, containing 105 inhabitants. Lias and mountain limestone, together with lead-ore, are found in this small parish, which is exclusively agricultural, and presents some fine well-wooded enclosures. Courtyrala, an Italian villa, the seat of T. B. Rous, Esq., is pleasantly situated above a stream artificially widened and improved, over which a rustic bridge has been formed, amid scenery of the most romantic and picturesque character : the grounds are disposed with great taste, and disclose, at various points of view, the most admired scenes of the adjacent country. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £ 4. 10. 7 1/2., endowed with £ 200 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of T. B. Rous, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. A school for the education of children of both sexes is supported by the family of Rous. On the summit of a hill, in this parish, are vestiges of an earthwork, supposed to be of Roman construction. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £41. 3." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)
Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.
The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
- Parish Church of St. Michael and All Angels
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The church is dedicated to St. Michael and All Angels, and is in the Benefice of St. Andrew's Major and Michaelston-le-Pit. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST152730.
A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1724-1900, Marriages, 1724-1837, Burials, 1724-1900.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Michaelston-le-Pit Ecclesiastical Parish records " ......... including registers of baptisms, 1783-1980; marriages, 1813-1968; burials, 1784-1980; services, 1919-1934; papers relating to property, c1914- 1934; statistics, 1921-1924; miscellaneous papers, 19th and 20th centuries; churchwardens records, 1883-1972; vestry minute book, 1865-1927; church affairs and civil records, 1830-1842"
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|1783-1980||1783-1787, 1813-1837, 1839-1968||1784-1980||-||1724-1725, 1729-1736, 1738-1753, 1755-1762, 1764-1837|
The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-
- Michaelston-le-Pit, St. Michael & All Angels - Christenings (BT's), 1813-1875
Conservation areas within the Vale of Glamorgan. See Michaelston le Pit - "Conservation areas are areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance"
The transcription of the section for Michaelston le Pit from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Michaelston le Pit to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Michaelston le Pit has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST148733 (Lat/Lon: 51.451946, -3.227748), Michaelston le Pit which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Michaelston-le-Pit parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
- Michaelston-le-Pit (151); Michaelston le Pit; White Fm.
There are many references to this area in the 15 million Welsh and English language articles from Welsh newspapers transcribed by the NLW and viewable on Welsh Newspapers Online
Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people
- From The Cardiff Times 16th January 1869
MICHAELSTONE-LE-PIT. Colonel Rous, with his usual liberality, gave the whole of his tenants, to the number of 55, an excellent dinner at Court-yr-alla, on the 29th ult. and, not with-standing the mildness of the season, his charities in the neighbourhood have been this year increased. The Misses Rous also have been extremely kind in providing clothing and other comforts for their poorer neighbours
- From The Cardiff and Merthyr Guardian Glamorgan Monmouth… 20th December 1862
MICHAELSTONE-LE-PIT. The sum of £13 6s. l0d. was collected after a sermon preached in this church in aid of the Lancashire Relief Fund, which has been remitted to the Central Committee at Manchester by the Rev. H. H. Rickards.
- From The Cardiff Times 9th January 1863
MICHAELSTONE-LE-PIT. CHURCH CHOIR.—We are glad to find that within the last two years great improvements have taken place in the musical part of divine service in our country churches. Amongst others which have so improved is the church choir at Michaelstone-le- Pit, and it is greatly owning to the exertions of the Rev. H. H. Rickards, the respected rector of the parish, and Mrs. Rickards. On Thursday evening, New-year's day, the choir were invited to tea and supper at the Mount, the reverend gentleman's residence, when a most, sumptuous feast was provided. After full justice had been done to the good things the usual loyal toasts were drunk, and the health of Mr. and Mrs. Rickards, &c. The National Anthem was sung at the conclusion by the choir. Such meetings as these are the means of doing vast good, and we wish to see them more frequent held. Every member of the choir was kindly present by Mrs. Rickards with an elegant present before they parted.
The Population of Michaelston-le-Pit was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.
|1841 - 93||1851 - 87||1861 - 73||1871 - 100||1881 - 108||1891 - 102|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Michaelston-le-Pit Civil Parish records " ............ comprising tithe plan and apportionment, 1945 [copied 1980]; highway surveyors' account book, 1865-1879; assistant overseers rate book, 1926; assistant overseers receipt and payment book, 1912-1927; parish meeting minutes book, 1894-1969"