1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Michaelston Super Avon contained the following places:
"MICHAELSTON-SUPER-AVON, a parish in the hundred of Neath, county Glamorgan, 4 miles S.E. of Neath, its post town, and 14 from Bridgend. It is situated on the river Avon, and contains the hamlets of Upper and Lower Michaelston, partly in Aberavon borough. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the tin and coal works. The village is considerable, but much scattered. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £112, in the patronage of the English Copper Company. The church is dedicated to St. Michael."
"CWMAFON, a mining village in the parish of Michaelston super Avon, hundred of Neath, in the county of Glamorgan, 3 miles N.E. of Aberafon. It is a station on the Eastern Valleys section of the Monmouthshire railway, and has a tramway of about 4 miles down to the port. This country, which extends along the bank of the Afon is rich m coal and black-band ironstone. At thin village are the extensive tin, copper, and iron works belonging to the Copper Miners' Company."
"LOWER MICHAELSTON, (and Michaelston) hamlets in the parish of Michaelston-super-Avon, hundred of Neath, county Glamorgan, 5 miles from Neath, and 14 from Bridgend.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018