"MICHAELSTON super ELAY, in the Cwmwd of Is Caeth, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Dinas Powys), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Rectory, with the Rectory of St. Bride's united, and valued in the King's Books at £8..6..8: Patrons, The Trustees under the Will of John Llewellyn, Esq.: Church dedicated to St. Michael. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 53. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was, £13..15..1, at 1s. 1d. in the pound. It is 5 m. W.b.S. from Caerdiff. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, and Glebe, was £117..7..6. The Castle is in ruins."From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Walesby Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
"MICHAELSTON super ELY, a parish in the hundred of DINAS-POWIS, County of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 4 1/2 miles (W.) from Cardiff, containing 60 inhabitants. This small parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Michael, and its distinguishing appellation from its situation on the southern bank of the river Ely, which separates it from the parish of St. Fagan, is beautifully situated in the south-eastern part of the county, and comprises a moderate portion of rich arable and pasture land, which is in a good state of cultivation. It was formerly distinguished for a castle erected here, probably by some of the Norman invaders of the principality, but of which little of the history has been preserved, and scarcely the ruins are at present distinguishable. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied, and the distant views extend over a fertile and highly cultivated tract of country. The living is a discharged rectory, with the rectory of St. Bride's super Ely consolidated, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £ 8. 6. 8., and in the patronage of Llewellyn Trehearne, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is not remarkable for any architectural details. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 12. 4." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)