"MONK NASH, or, GREAT NASH, in the Cwmwd of Maenor Glynn Ogwr, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Ogmore), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Curacy, not in charge, of the certified value of £15: Patron, The Hon. William Booth Grey, in right of his 'Wife Miss Price, an Heiress. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, (including the Hamlet of Broughton) was 101. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £46..10..0, at 7s 3d. in the pound. It is 6 1/2 m. S.W. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains 1250 acres of Land, all inclosed and cultivated: and is bounded by the Bristol Channel. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising From Composition for Tythes, and Augmentation, was £48. " From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
"MONKNASH (MONK-NASH), a parish in the hundred of OGMORE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (W. S. W.) from Cowbridge, containing 121 inhabitants. This manor, together with the castle and lordship of Neath, was given by FitzHamon to Sir Richard de Grenville, and by him conferred on the monks of Neath abbey, from which circumstance it has derived the prefix to its name. The parish is situated on the shore of the Bristol channel the coast is extremely dangerous for some miles between it and Barry. The Nash sands are a perilous ridge, covered at high water, but exposed at low water, on which the Frolic steam vessel from Tenby to Bristol, laden with passengers, struck, in the month of March, 1831, the weather being exceedingly tempestuous and hazy, when all on board perished : recently two lighthouses have been erected near them, which serve to warn navigators of the danger, as they stretch several miles westward from the coast, and the sounding immediately contiguous is four fathoms. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Hon. William Booth Grey. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £36. 11."( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)