Tondu in the Parish of Newcastle
"TONDU is a populous hamlet, 3 miles north from Bridgend, with a station on the Llynvi and Ogmore branch of the Great Western railway; it is also the junction of the Porthcawl and Ogmore branches of the same line. Gas is supplied by North's Navigation Collieries Limited, and water by the Tondu and Aberkenfig Water Supply of the Rural District Council. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels. The extensive coal and coke works here: of North's Navigation Collieries (1889) Limited, and the engineering works of the Great Western Railway Co. employ a large number of hands." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
- Brogden family, ironmasters
[National Library of Wales, Department of Manuscripts and Records]
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Chapel of Ease to Newcastle, formed into a parish in 1923.
The church is dedicated to St. John, is in the Benefice of Penyfai with Tondu, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Tondu Ecclesiastical parish records ". ......... including registers of baptisms, 1868-1915; marriages, 1869-1971; burials, 1868-1933; civil records, 1878-1919"
|Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|Chapel||Baptisms||Marriages||Burials||OS Map Ref|
|Jerusalem, Baptist||1938-1948||-||-||SS 89278407|
Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site
Transcript of name listing for Bridgend and district, from Slaters Directory for 1880.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tondu in the Parish of Newcastle to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Tondu in the Parish of Newcastle has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS893842 (Lat/Lon: 51.545801, -3.597802), Tondu in the Parish of Newcastle which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Photograph of pupils at Tondu Girls School. - on the People's Collection Wales site