1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Oxwich contained the following places:
"OXWICH, (or Oxwick), a parish in the hundred of Swansea, county Glamorgan, 11 miles S.W. of Swansea, its post town, and 2 from Penrice. The village, which is of small extent, is situated in Gower under Cefn-Bryn. On the coast is Oxwich Point, and at the W. angle of Oxwich Bay are the ruins of the six-storied tower which once formed part of the stronghold built by Sir R. Mansel, of Margam, in the 15th century. Here are also the ruins of Penrice Castle, and the modern mansion of C. R. Talbot, Esq., M.P. A short distance from the, bay are the ruins of Pennarth Castle, built shortly after the conquest of Gowerland. The ruins consist of two round towers and portions of an embattled wall, being all that now remains. At Paviland are two limestone caves, in which were found many stalactites, fossil animal bones, and rare plants. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the shell fishery. In the middle of the bay, which has from three to ten fathoms of water, is an islet called St. Kit's Knoll. The living is a rectory with that of Nicholaston annexed, value £224, in the diocese of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Illtyd, is situated on the edge of the bay. It contains an altar tomb to Sir Rice Mansell, the founder of the castle mentioned above. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018