1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"PENARTH, a parish in the hundred of Dinas Powis, county Glamorgan, 3 miles S. of Cardiff, its post town, and 6 from Cowbridge. It is situated on the Bristol Channel, and is a sub-port to Swansea. It has the ruins of a chantry to Llandough priory. There is a good anchorage for vessels in the Roads. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Lavernock, in the diocese of Llandaff, value £136. The church is dedicated to St. Augustine."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018