Slaters Commercial Directory, 1871



Transcribed by Phil Mustoe

PENARTH is a parish and rising seaport, about 4 miles from Cardiff, and 172 from London, in the county of Glamorgan, Dynas Powis hundred, Cardiff union and county court district, Llandaff Upper rural deanary, Llandaff archdeaconry and diocese. This place derives its name from two Welsh words "Pen" a head, and "Garth" a ridge; it was used at a very early period as a beacon, on which a fire was lighted to warn the county of invasions, the signal was immediately repeated on Garth Mountain and Castell Coch, and rom thence to Merthyr, Breconshire and Caermarthenshire. In the early part of the sixth century, according to Tanner, St. Dochdury came to this county, with Cadvan, and built a monastry for twelve monks or canons, which was dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and endowed by Paulentus, King of Glamorgan, at Llandough. In the year 1088, according to Powell, the Normans landed at Penarth, and marched under the leadership of Robert Fitzhamon, to Hirwaun Wrgant, in company of Jestyn's, (the last Prince of Glamorgan), army, against the Prince of South Wales, Rees ap Tewdwr whom they defeated; after the Norman's received their payment, the treacherous Jestyn refused to fulfil his promise to Einon, a Welsh chieftan, who went to London for him to engage the Normans; Fitzhamon's troops returned to their vessels at Penarth without loss of time, Einon went to Penarth Hill and made a signal for them to return; Fitzhamon landed and attacked Jestyn who was with his army at the Heath near Cardiff; the Normans were victorious and the whole county was conquered. Robert Fitzhamon kept the lordships of Cardiff, Dinas Powis and Kenffig in his own hands; probably Penarth belonged to the lordship of Dinas Powys. The old parish church, supposed to have been built by the Normans, stood on the promontory, which commands a fine view of the Bristol Channel. Until within the last 20 years this was a small and unimportant village; it owes its rapid rise to the formation of the docks and harbour. In 1856 an Act was obtained for making a railway from the Taff Vale railway to the river Ely, and the converting of a part of that river into a tidal harbour, which has been carried out. The dimensions of the harbour are - Length, measuring along the centre of the river, 13,000 feet; frontage on the Cardiff side, 12, 000 feet; frontage on the Penarth side, 3,000 feet; average width of water line at high water for the first reach of the river, 600 feet; length 4,000 feet; area, 55 acres; average width at water line at half tide, 280 feet; area, 26 acres; number of staiths for the shipment of coal, 10; with provision for 6 more. Each staith is capable of shipping 150 tons per hour; depths of the berths at high water, ordinary spring tides, 30 feet; depth of water in the berths at high water; ordinary neap tides, 20 feet. Vessels of 1,000 tons burthen take the ground, and are loaded with great dispatch in this harbour. The maximum run of the tide is about two knots per hour. There are 3 cranes for unloading iron ore and ballast, each of a capacity of 50 tons per hour. In 1857 an Act was passed enabling the Penarth Harbour and Railway Company to construct railways to, and a dock and other works on adjoining, the south west branch of the river Ely, and for other purposes. The dimensions of this dock are - length, 2,100 feet; width, 370 feet; area 17½ acres. The basin - Length, 400 feet; width, 330 feet, and area, 3 acres. The lock is - length, 270 feet; width 60 feet; seagate width, 60 feet; depth of water - ordinary spring tides, 35 feet; depth of water - ordinary neap tides, 25 feet. Being a tidal dock the gates can be opened at high water from sea to dock for the ingress and egress of shipping, thereby avoiding the great delay caused at other docks by locking through. There are 10 coal staiths in the dock, and 2 in the basin, for loading steamers of the largest dimension. All the staiths are on the high level; the double staiths appropriated to large steamers are capable of shipping 300 tons per hour. Every provision has been made for shipping coal with the least possible breakage, with the greatest dispatch, and at a minimum charge. There are sufficient cranes worked by hydraulic power for the discharging of ballast and iron ore. Hydraulic power is applied to the opening and shutting the dock gates, and to other purposes affording facilities in working the dock and the dispatch of shipping. The place is supplied with water from the Cardiff Water Works, and gas is also laid on; the drainage is very good, and has cost about £12, 000, defrayed by the Clive family. Near the entrance to the dock is a suite of offices for the use of the Customs, also the Dock Company, which are very fine buildings. A large trade was carried on here in alabaster, which was carried away by coasting vessels; it is still found in some parts. Here is good sea bathing. On the hill, within an easy distance of the dock, is a very handsome hotel, with very fine grounds, well laid out. The Church of St. Augustine is a stone building in the Early English style, erected in 1865, on the site of the old church : it consists of a nave, aisle, chancel, and two trancepts, with a porch at the north-west corner, and a tower, at the south west, with 6 bells: the chancel window is a fine specimen of stained glass, the subject being "The Ascension of Christ": The reredos is of coloured marble, with the monogram of I H S let in: above the nave arches are eight Bath stone circular panels, in which the eight beatitudes are painted: the chancel is 37 feet long, and the nave is 87 feet long, by 51 feet high: the Pulpit is of oak and walnut, with tracery panels: it has a massive stone foundation of rocks of Radyr and Pentrebach (Newbridge) stones. The roof of the edifice is formed of red tiles, and the tower finishes with a "saddle-back" roof, and the height is 90 feet: it was built at the sole expense of the late Baroness Windsor, at an outlay of about £10,000. The register dates from the year 1802. The living is a rectory (with Lavernock rectory annexed), yearly value £250, with residence, in the gift of Lord Clive, and held by the Rev. Charles Parsons, M.A., of Jesus College, Oxford. There is a National school for boys and girls, with master's residence, erected at a cost of £1,400, defrayed mostly by the late Baroness Windsor. There are places of worship for Roman Catholics, Baptists, Calvinistic Methodists, Independents, and Weslyans; the latter is a handsome stone building, erected 1864. The Kymin is the residence of James Sydney Batchelor, esq., J.P. Sea View House is the residence of William Perch, esq., and Windsor Villa of Capt. Morgan Price Smith Tozer. Lord Clive, who is lord of the manor, and the Marquis of Bute are chief landowners. The soil is principally clay, subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, barley, roots and pasturage. The area is 1,507 acres, including water; and the population in 1861 was 1,406; gross estimated rental, £9,441; rateable value, £7,159 11s.
Parish Clerk, Edward Evans

Official Establishments, Local Institutions, &c.

Post and Money Order Office, Post Office Savings Bank & Postal Telegraph Office. - John Richards, sub-post-master. Letters arrive through Cardiff; first arrival, 8.15 a.m.; second arrival, 11.30 a.m.; first dispatch, 4 p.m.; second dispatch, 5.15 p.m.; third dispatch, 7 p.m. On the second arrival letters are not delivered that day, but can be had on application. Money order business is transacted from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m.

Postal Telegraph Offices, Dock office, Dock head, George James, clerk; & Tidal harbour

Usually Acting for the Hundred of Dynas Powis

John Bruce Pryce, esq. Duffryn
Robert Oliver Jones, esq., Fonmon Castle
Richard Bassett, esq., Bonvilstone house
Rev. Roper Trevor Tyler, Lantrythyd
Col. Rous, Courtyrala
Rev. Hely Hutchinson Rickards, Landough rectory
Edward Romilly, esq. Porthkerry
Frederick Romilly, esq. Porthkerry
Rev. William Bruce, St. Nicholas
R. F. L. Jenner, esq. Wenvoe Castle
Hugh Jenner, esq., Wenvoe
John Stuart Corbett, esq., Cogan Pill
Lewis Knight Bruce, esq., St. Nicholas
James Sydney Batchelor, esq., of Penarth
Griffith Phillips, esq., Dynas Powis
George Williams Griffiths Thomas, esq., Coedriglan
Clerk to the Magsitrates, John Morris

Petty sessions are held in & for the said hundred on the first wednesday in every month, at twleve o'clock at noon, at the Police court, St. Nicholas; & on every Monday, at eleven o'clock in the forenoon, at the Police court, Penarth

Petty sessions are also held at the above times & places for the purposes if the Criminal Justice Act, 18 amp; 19 Vict. cap. 126

Insurance Agents
British Empire & Mutual Life
, John Williams, Under cliff
London Assurance, John Williams, Under cliff
Whittington Life, Charles Purvis, Maughan place

Public Establishments
Police Station
, Stephen Adams, inspector
Custom House, Dock head, Samuel Arthur & William Picken, examining officers; Charles Kerr, Thomas Walter Mitchell, John Isaac McAllister & Benjamin Robotham, custom house officers
Dock Office, Lieut. James Poole. R.N.R. dock master; George Fisher, engineer; James Edwards, collector & goods superintendent; John Robins, clerk
Coast Guard Station, William Evans, chief officer

Places of Worship :-
St. Augustine's Church
, Rev. Chas. Parsons, M.A. , Rector
Baptist Chapel, ministers various
Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, ministers various
Independent Chapel, ministers various
Roman Catholic Chapel, ministers various
Weslyan Chapel, Rev. Charles Williams, minster

National School, John Colston Meredith, master; Mrs. Emma Anne Meredith, mistress

Conveyance to :-
. - Omnibuses, Jenkin Davis, to & from, daily; Richards & Price's, from Ship hotel, to St. Mary street, to & from every hour; Williams, from Dock hotel to St. Mary street
Penarth Ferry. - An omnibus every half hour, from the 'Cardiff Arms', to the ferry

Carrier to Cardiff . - Sadler, daily

Conveyance by Water :-
Penarth Dock
. - The Kate steamer, from Bute docks, Cardiff, running every half hour, to and fro, during tide time
Penarth Ferry. - A steamboat plies across the Tidal harbour, running day & night

Private Residents

Allen Frederick, Greensted villa, Windsor road
Ames James, West Cotage
Batchelor Henry, Windsor lodge
Batchelor James Sydney J. P., The Kymin
Batchelor John, Upper cliff
Beynon Richard, Maughan place
Bovey John, Windsor road
Boyer Rev. Robert Buckley, Windsor road
Calder Nthnl. B., Rose mount, Windsor rd
Cory John, Windsor road
Dalziel Alex., Ash Cottage, Windsor rd
Edwards James, West house
Edwards Mrs., Windsor road
Evans Thomas, Sea cottage
Flint Joseph Nicholas, Under cliff
Jones Mrs., Carnarvon villa, Windsor rd
Langley Robert Francis, The Elms
Livermoor John, Windsor road
Locock Capt. Herbert, R. E., Plymouth house
Mules Daniel, Albert cottage, John st
Neil Richard Frederick, Maughan ter
Parsons Rev. Charles, M. A. Rectory
Perch William, Sea View house
Poole Lieut. James, R. N. R., The Ferns
Richards William, Windsor road
Riley William, Windsor road
Strange Edward, John street
Tozer Capt. Morgan Price Smith, Cliff Villa
Vachell Edwin, Windsor road
Ware James, Briar bank, Windsor rd
Williams Rev. Charles [Weslyan], Glebe street
Williams John, Under cliff


Bailey Henry, grocer & provision dealer, Cornwall House, Windsor rd
Beer William, shopkeeper, Salop street
Beynon & Hopkins, ship smiths, Dock
Blacker Alfred, temperance hotel & refreshment rooms, Salop street
Blake John, shoe maker, John street
Butt Joseph, tailor, Glebe street
Chandler John, shopkeeper, Maughan street
Clark Charles, greengrocer, Glebe street
Cook Thomas, boot & shoe maker, Maughan street
Cope Albert, tobacconist, Glebe street
Cornwell David, butcher, Salop street
Cross William, butcher, Glebe street
Davies Edmund, grocer amp; provision dealer, Salop street
Davy Marion (Miss), ladies' boarding school, Windsor road
Delve Charles, painter & glazier, Maughan street
Denman Dennis, channel pilot, John street
Denning Thomas, boot & shoe maker, Glebe street
Dimond Samuel, Penarth family hotel, near the Dock
Edgell Henry, plumber & painter, Glebe street
Evans Daniel, blacksmith, Salop street
Evans David, cowkeeper, Salop street
Evans David, St. Fagan's Castle, Windsor Road
Evans John, coal dealer, Glebe street
Evans Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
Gale William, butcher, Glebe street
Griffiths Thomas, Albion, & builder, Glebe st. & Salop st
Heap Sarah (Mrs.), steamboat owner, Maughan terrace
Hichey Patrick, coal dealer & greengrocer, Glebe street
Hicks William, Pilot Inn, Maughan street
Hill Christopher, Golden Lion, & shipwright Glebe street & Dock
Howell William, Plymouth Inn, Salop street
Hutchings James, butcher, Glebe street
Johns Amelia (Mrs.), eating house keeper, Maughan street
Jones James, plasterer, Salop street
Kempthorn Edward, channel pilot, Maughan street
Kempthorn Elizabeth (Mrs.), outfitter, Maughan street
Lace Enos & Co., (of Cardiff), engineers & ship smiths &c. Dock
Lean Richard, shopkeeper, Glebe street
Lewis Anne (Mrs.), lodging house, WIndsor place
Llewellyn Jenkin, grocer & carpenter, Glebe street
Lovet Henry, Windsor hotel, Windsor road
McKenna James, boot & shoe maker, Maughan street
Mitchell Thomas Walter, custom house officer, Salop street
Morgan David, farmer, Lower Penarth farm
Morgan David, jun. farmer
Morgan Edward, bathing machine proprietor
Morgan Jno., draper & grocer, American house, Maughan st
Morse David, branch pilot, Salop street
Mules William, shopkeeper, John street
Murphy Jeremiah, boot & shoe maker, Salop street
Neil Richard Frederick, surgeon, Maughan terrace
O'Brien James, marine store dealer, Maughan street
Phillips Moses (of Cardiff), pawnbroker & outfitter, Maughan street
Powell William, grocer, Maughan street
Price Watkin, mechanical engineer, John street
Proctor Richard, Chemist, Maughan street
Purton Sarah (Mrs.), Royal Hotel, Maughan street
Purvis Chas., ironmonger & shipwright, Maughan pl. & Dock
Randall William, farmer
Raymond Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Glebe street
Richards James, builder, Glebe street
Richards Jno., grocer & provision dealer, & post office, Glebe street
Richards William, ship hotel, Maughan street
Roberts Evan Ellis, builder, Salop street
Robins John, accountant, John street
Sadler William, Clive Arms, & carrier, John street
Scamell Emily (Mrs.), dress maker, Maughan street
Scoones Henry, master mariner, Maughan place
Smith David, tailor, Maughan place
Smith Hannah (Mrs.), lodging house, Maughan place
Smith William Robert, outfitter & draper, Glebe street
Stevens Thomas, baker & grocer, Maughan street
Styles James, master mariner, Salop street
Taylor John, farmer, Rosser House farm
Thomas Evan & Co., drapers, Glebe street
Thomas David, carpenter & china & glass dlr., Maughan ter
Thornley Sarah (Mrs.), dress maker, Glebe street
White James, grocer, Glebe street & Salop street
White Samuel, shop keeper, Glebe street
White Samuel, shop keeper, Salop street
Willans, Greaves & Thomas, shipwrights & boat builders, Dock, & at Cardiff
Williams David Lewis, Penarth Dock hotel, Maughan terrace
Williams Margaret (Miss), straw bonnet maker, Salop street
Withers Henry, stone quarry owner, Beach cottage

Slaters Commercial Directory, Penarth, Glamorgan, 1871 [Last Updated : 19 Sept 2002 - Gareth Hicks]