Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Pendoylan - Gazetteers

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Pendoylan - Gazetteers

Extract from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis

"PENDOYLAN (PEN-DEULWYN), a parish in the hundred of COWBRIDGE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (E. N. E.) from Cowbridge, containing 351 inhabitants.

The name, signifying literally " the head of the two groves," was probably derived from the appearance of the neighbourhood at an early period, which, like many other parts of the county, was richly wooded. The parish is pleasantly situated on the river Elay, and comprises a moderate extent of arable and pasture land, which is all enclosed and in a good state of cultivation : the surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied.

Within the limits of the parish is Hensol, the ancient seat of the family of Jenkins, under whose auspices an annual assembly of the bards was for many years held in the adjoining parish of Ystrad-Owen, till the death of Richard Jenkins, Esq., who was a warm admirer of Welsh poetry and music, and a good performer on the harp. After this event, in 1721, the estate was conveyed by marriage with his niece to Lord Chancellor Talbot, who was elevated to the peerage by the title of Baron Talbot of Hensol, and whose son added two wings to the mansion, and greatly improved the estate : afterwards it became, by purchase, the property of the Richardsons, and now belongs to William Crawshay, Esq., who has expended considerable sums on its further improvement and embellishment. The present house is spacious and handsome, and is beautifully situated within very extensive grounds, which are laid out with great taste, and comprehend some finely varied and highly picturesque scenery.

The parish abounds with limestone, which in general forms the substratum of the soil.

The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £8.13. 4., and in the patronage of the Archdeacon and Chapter of Llandaf. The church, dedicated to St. Cadog, is not remarkable for any architectural details of importance. There is a place of worship for Welsh Calvinistic Methodists.

The sum of £ 5 per annum, the interest arising from £ 100, of which, £ 50 was bequeathed by Lord Chancellor Talbot, is annually distributed among the poor.

In the parish are several springs, to the waters of which are ascribed medicinal properties, and great efficacy in the cure of diseases, especially those of the eye, and in erysipelas.

The names of some farms in the parish appear to indicate the past existence of some ancient encampments ; but nothing is recorded of their history, nor are there any vestiges of them remaining.

The inferior title of Baron Talbot of Hensol is still enjoyed by the noble family of that name.

The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 172.3."

Pendoylan - Lewis 1833 [Last Updated : 16 Oct 2002 - Gareth Hicks]