Llanfrynach in the Parish of Penllyn
"PENLLYNE or LLANFRYNACH is a small and scattered village, half a mile north from the Cowbridge and Bridgend road, 3 miles north-west from Cowbridge station on the Llantrisant and Aberthaw branch of the Great Western railway, 5 east from Bridgend and 14 West from Cardiff, in the Pontypridd division of the county of Glamorgan, Ogmore hundred, Cowbridge and Bridgend union, Bridgend county court district, Cowbridge petty sessional division, rural deanery of Groneath Lower (eastern division) and archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaff. The church of St. Brynach is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, ... ; it was restored in 1921-22; service is held in the summer only: there are 120 sittings. Divine service is also held in a chapel. The existing register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1814; the earlier registers have been lost. The living is a vicarage, net income £83, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage,... There is a granite cross, erected in memory of those who lost their lives in the Great War, 1914-18. There is a Welsh Calvinistic chapel with 150 sittings, Penllyn Castle, the property of Capt. J. G. R. Homfray J.P. and the residence of Col. Herbert Richards Homfray D.L., J.P. is an ancient building of stone, ... Penllyne Court is the residence of Herbert C. R. Homfray esq. ... The soil is reddish loam; subsoil, limestone. The chief crops wheat and oats. The area is 1,962 acres; rateable value, £2,578; and the population in 1911 was 309. ... The children of this parish attend school at Llangan." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
Indexed transcription of monumental inscriptions at Llanfrynach Churchyard, by P. F. Mustoe.
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- A view of a large house in the distance. Paths lead up to Llanfrynach church whilst rows of small trees surround the outside.
- Llanfrynach Church near Cowbridge.
The church is dedicated to St. Brynach, and is in the Benefice of Cowbridge Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference ST074761.
A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1721-1902, Marriages, 1631-1845, Burials, 1721-1902. Visit their website for information on how to purchase these fiche.
|Anglican Parish Registers|
|Register location unknown|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanfrynach in the Parish of Penllyn to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanfrynach in the Parish of Penllyn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS979746 (Lat/Lon: 51.461135, -3.471045), Llanfrynach in the Parish of Penllyn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)