"PEN MARC, in the Cwmwd of Is Caeth, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Dinas Powys), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Vicarage, annexed to the Vicarage of Lantwit Major, and valued in the King's Books at £8..13..4: Patrons, The Dean and Chapter of Gloucester: Church dedicated to St. Mark. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, (consisting of the Hamlets of East Aber Ddaw, Burton, Cwm Cidy, Fonmon, Fontigary, Nurston, Pen Marc, Rhôs, and Treduckan) was 424. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £309..15..3, at 2s. 11d. in the pound. It is 6 m. S E. b. S. from Cowbridge. A Fair is holden here on the 15th of April. This Parish has been inclosed from time immemorial, and contains 2827 computed acres. The Chapels of East Aber Ddaw, and Rhôs, have been demolished, or, at least, disused, since the time of Oliver Cromwell. The ancient Castle of Pen Marc, which belonged to Gilbert Humphreville, one of the Norman Adventurers, has been in ruins ever since the time of Owain G1andwr. Fonmon Castle is habitable, and is now the Seat of ROBERT JONES, Esq. There is a Tradition that, in the times of Popery, a human Skull, pretended to be that of St. Mark, was kept in the Church-yard, and that it was from this Relick the Church and Parish were named. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, and Glebe, was £140..19..10." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.