Aberthaw in the Parishes of Penmark and St. Athan
"ABERTHAW-EAST (ABER-DDAW), a hamlet and sea-port (small), in the parish of PENMARK, hundred of DINASPOWYS, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (S. S. E.) from Cowbridge. The population is returned with the parish. This place is situated on the east bank and near the mouth of the river Ddaw, from which it derives its name, and had formerly a chapel, which has fallen to ruins. The harbour is small, and is only resorted to by a few coasting vessels of inferior burden, for the purpose of conveying the produce of the district to other places, especially lies limestone, called Aberthaw tarras, which is much used in making cement for works under water, canal locks, &c."
"ABERTHAW-WEST (ABER-DDAW), a hamlet and port (small), in the parish of ST-ATHAN, hundred of COWBRIDGE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (S.S.E.) from Cowbridge. The population is returned with the parish. This place is situated on the western bank of the river Ddaw, opposite the small port of East Aberthaw: near it is Seabreak Point, a promontory which protects the mouth of that river. Lime of excellent quality is procured in the vicinity." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833 © Mel Lockie 2016]
- Aberthaw Power Station
1955-1971: building and commissioning records
[Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff]
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Aberthaw and Bristol Channel Portland Cement Co. records 1913-65 & 1914-32 "The Aberthaw and Bristol Channel Portland Cement Company was established in 1912 by the Beynon family. The site at Aberthaw was chosen as it was near the necessary raw material, limestone and coal from the south Wales coalfield which was needed to heat the kiln. In 1919 the company took over the nearby Aberthaw and Rhoose Point Portland and Lime Company. ......"
|Non Conformist Registers Deposited|
|Chapel||Baptisms||Marriages||Burials||OS Map Ref||
PRO - Public Record Office, London
WGAS - West Glamorgan Archive Service
The transcription of the section for Aberthaw from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aberthaw in the Parishes of Penmark and St. Athan to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Aberthaw in the Parishes of Penmark and St. Athan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST030670 (Lat/Lon: 51.393717, -3.395575), Aberthaw in the Parishes of Penmark and St. Athan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Aberthaw Lime Kiln
- ABERTHAW POWER STATION
- A limestone quarry near Aberthaw in the 1950s.
- Aberthaw: Landscape & Industry (various)