Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for PENMARK

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

PENMARK

In 1868, the parish of Penmark contained the following places:

"PENMARK, a parish in the hundred of Dinas-Powis, county Glamorgan, 6 miles from Cowbridge, its post town, and 9 S.W. of Cardiff. The parish contains the villages of Aberthaw, Burton, Cwm, and six others. There are two castles, built by Gilbert de Humfrevile, one now in ruins having been destroyed by Owain Glyndwr, and the other, called Fonmon Castle, now the property of the Jones family. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £224, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church, dedicated to St. Mark, is an ancient structure. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There is a place of worship for the Methodists. The tithes were commuted in 1840. An annual fair is held on the 15th April."

"ABERTHAW, a small village in the parish of Penmark, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 5 miles S.E. of Cowbridge. It is situated on the Bristol Channel, at the mouth of the river Thaw, or Ddaw. The harbour is small and the port is subordinate to Cardiff. It is frequented only by coasting vessels of small size. The principal produce of the district is lias limestone, here called Aberthaw tarras, and is used in making cement for subaqueous works, canal locks, &c."

"BURTON, a village in the parish of Penmark, hundred of Dinas Powis, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 6 miles to the S.E. of Cowbridge. It is near the coast of the Bristol Channel."

"CWM, a village in the parish of Penmark, in the county of Glamorgan, 4½ miles S.E. of Cowbridge."

"FONMON, a village in the parish of Penmark, county Glamorgan, South Wales, 5 miles S.E. of Cowbridge. It is situated near the seacoast. The principal residence is Fonmon Castle, the only one of the twelve castles of Glamorgan which remains, and is inhabited. It was purchased from the St. Johns by Colonel Philip Jones, the celebrated parliamentary commander and regicide. Here is preserved a fine portrait of Cromwell. Fonmon was frequently visited by John Wesley, whose chamber is shown at Fontigary, an adjacent farmhouse."

"FONTIGARY, a hamlet in the parish of Penmark, county Glamorgan, South Wales, 5 miles S.E. of Cowbridge. Here is the farmhouse where John Wesley lodged when on his visits to Fonmon. In the vicinity are the ruins of Penmark and East Orchard castles."

"NURSTON, a village in the parish of Penmark, county Glamorgan, 5 miles S.E. of Cowbridge."

"RHOS, a village in the parish of Penmark, hundred of Dinas Powis, county Glamorgan, 9 miles S.W. of Cardiff. In the vicinity are the remains of Gilbert Humfreville's Castle, which was dismantled by Owain Glyndwr."

"TREDOGAN, a village in the parish of Penmark, county Glamorgan, 5 miles S.E. of Cowbridge."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018