Rhoose in the Parish of Penmark
"RHOOSE is a growing village in this parish, with a station on the Vale of Glamorgan (Great Western) railway; there are large cement works here." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
- Cambrian Airways Limited
1959-79: statistical information
[National Library of Wales, Department of Manuscripts and Records]
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Civil Aviation, Glamorgan records 1970-89 "The history of Cardiff Airport (Glamorgan) extends back to the early 1940s when land was requisitioned in the Vale of Glamorgan by the air ministry to set up a wartime satellite aerodrome and training base for RAF spitfire pilots. When the commercial potential of the runway was recognised in the early 1950s, control of the airport was transferred to Glamorgan County Council. With the first transatlantic flight in 1971....... .................The former mineral railway running from Cardiff through Barry to Bridgend now (2005) gives access to the airport"
The church is dedicated to St. Peter, is in the Benefice of Penmark with Porthkerry, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SN063664.
|Anglican Parish Registers|
|No Registers have been deposited yet|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rhoose in the Parish of Penmark to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rhoose in the Parish of Penmark has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Sepia photo of a group of people, men, women and children. On back of photo is written: Rhoose, Good Friday, 1919.
- A Black and White Picture Postcard of a Side View Row, of Semi-Detached Houses in Station Road, Rhoose.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST064665 (Lat/Lon: 51.389794, -3.34659), Rhoose in the Parish of Penmark which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)