Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Chapels - Penrice

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Chapels - Penrice

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Penrice database compiled by Gareth Hicks with contributions from;

  • Jeff Coleman

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Wales - Genealogy Help Pages )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

Sources;

Baptist

No Baptist chapels found in this parish

Congregationalist

No Congregationalist chapels found in this parish

Methodist

Horton Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Horton, Penrice

  • Horton Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Horton, Penrice SS47438598 Built in 1872 (1)
    [it has extant records from 1864 and see below]
  • Horton Wesleyan Methodist Erected in 1815 William Tucker, Local Preacher, Horton 1851 (5)
  • Horton Methodist chapel on the Gower Methodists site from which this is a short extract
    "The first William Tucker ....... was succeeded by his son William II..... Both men were Methodists and in the record of societies in 1796, William Tucker II is listed. This society was based in Oxwich and included members from Horton and Port Eynon."
  • There is an article by Neilson, Gren P. The Tuckers of Horton : two hundred and fifty years of farming and Methodism in a Gower family. Gower 42 (1991), p. 42-9 (2)
  • Horton Methodist Chapel was first built 1813, according to a letter sent in 1870, a transcript of which is included in an unpublished history of Gower Methodism, following Oxwich chapel in 1808. The chapel at Horton was rebuilt in late 1860s or early 1870s (JC 4)
  • 1870; NOTICE: R.WHITE BEOR, GIVING PERMISSION TO HORTON CHAPEL, PENRICE, TO SOLEMINISE MARRIAGES (3)

Other (inc un-identified)

None

[Last Updated : 30 Jan 2006 - Gareth Hicks]