1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Penrice contained the following places:
"PENRICE, (or Penrhys), a parish in the hundred of Swansea, county Glamorgan, 11 miles S.W. of Swansea, its post town, and 14 from Llanelly. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near Oxwich Bay, under Cefn-Bryn cromlech. In the neighbourhood are Pilton-Green and the ruins of the Earl of Warwick's Castle, which came to the Penrices and Mansels. Penrice was formerly a market town, and the old market-place still exists, but the market has long since been discontinued. Near the village is an ancient entrenchment. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. David's, value £53. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a cruciform structure, and has been restored. Penrice Castle is the principal residence, and within its grounds are the ruins of the old castle mentioned above, from which a view of the sea is obtained.
"PILTON GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Penrice, county Glamorgan, 10 miles S.W. of Swansea."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018